Al-Jazeera America is a corporate supporter of NPR

Was he going to wean us off oil by forcing us not to drive I wonder?

Al Jazeera is owned by the Middle East State of Qatar, whose only income is from oil and gas and some tourism. It is a nice place to visit; very modern technically.

Was he going to wean us off oil by forcing us not to drive I wonder?

He wants the roads all to himself and his fleet of armored SUVs. Then he’ll tell us to go “off the grid” and use solar power, so he can have the electric company running at peak efficiency to run his $10k/month electricity bills

Docnick: “Al Jazeera is owned by the Middle East State of Qatar, whose only income is from oil and gas and some tourism. It is a nice place to visit; very modern technically.”

…and if memory serves, Qatar is an ally that supported us in both the Iraq war and the Afghanistan war.

…and to be fair to Al Gore, he made upgrades to his home to make it more energy efficient. http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/gorehome.asp

Let’s not get carried away with ourselves.

BBC ? What makes you think they are less influenced ? Just talking with an accent doesn’t make one more or less believable.

The only way you can wean us off Mideast oil is to do away with capitalism and nationalize the oil companies. Mideast oil will always be a factor in the world supply for us. It’s not bad, it’s not good. It’s just a factor of the fee (free) enterprise system, the same with news organizations. Personally, I feel more at ease listening to PBS then a plethora of made up commercialized air heads. Commercialization does as much to influence news as anything. But, that is necessary too. "That clinking, clanking sound; money, money, money…makes the world go round. "

Of course they do, and it involves dominance of this country.

I have yet to see you post any evidence to support this claim, Docnick. As you doubtless know, extraordinary claims require supporting evidence. Until such is posted, this claim is no more believable than chem trails and the moon hoax conspiracy.

I’m not claiming any dominance or influence. I’m only referring to Obama’s promise to wean the US off Middle East oil.

Apologies- I meant MG, and typed your name by mistake.

I live way out in the mountains of Mexico, in the Central Highlands.

Recently, an adorable little neighbor girl came home from school, after a soccer game. She was so adorable I took a picture of her.

Her soccer uniform said QATAR FOUNDATION on the front.

if you don’t think this evangelizing for the Muslim religion, I have some really good land for sale. Bring your own boat.

Someone who probably knows much more about this sort of topic than I do, because he has lived two years in a nation which uses Sharia law, said the fastest growing groups converting to Muslim religion are women in the US and Mexico. I have not verified his claim; if you find this is wrong, please let me know.

I won’t prejudge Al-Jazeera. There is plenty of time to decide whether they are more like FoxNews/MSNBC or CNN. I hope for and expect the latter, but time will tell.

@Docnick "I’m only referring to Obama’s promise to wean the US off Middle East oil. "

Doc, I think you will agree that we would be hard pressed to come with a presidential candidate who did not promise to wean us off Middle East Oil. Middle East Oil will always be in our pipe line regardless of how much we produce or conserve. I had guessed that everyone acknowledged that, except for politicians come election time.

The free capital market requires you buy low and sell high. Buying low means Middle East Oil is a big player. Would you rather we depend more on expensive to extract and refine dirty shale oil from Canada as the only oil commodity available making the oil pipe line to the coast another political joke too. Expensive gasoline is as much a contrivance as it is our fear of Middle East Oil. Of course some of our oil money has contributed to terrorism. But, so hasn’t our dependance on foreign made goods fostered a generation of third world governments who support it as well.

Middle East Oil influence is still falling “waaaaay” behind industries like the tobacco industry in death and suffering of the American (and the worlds) peoples. The corporate for profit healthcare system is running a close second.

Ooooo. Mid East Oil…In reality, the 4 year boogie man propped up for every national election

I watch CCTV and RT. Really pretty women. But also I have noticed that some news are delivered in greater depth than even CNN.

@irlandes; I have lived more than 20 years under Sharia law and yes they will try and convert anybody to Islam. Rapidly growing in Europe. Just go to Hyde Park in London on a weekend and you’ll see. Same story in France, Italy and so on. I am sure now they want to jump over to this side.

As far as Al_Jazeera network sponsoring NPR, I am not sure what the intentions are; tax break vs propaganda vs other, but having been persecuted under the Sharia law, it does make me a bit uncomfortable.

There are always advantages and disadvantages to anything. I am well aware people from other cultures can really get messed up if they expect to act the same under Sharia law. Things like booze;dating and love life; and more.

At the same time, three years ago in Abu Dabi a 14 year old girl from South America tried to weasel out from what her parents discovered, by claiming she had been forcibly violated by a man from another country.

In the US, there are limits to the questions you can ask in those circumstances. Not under Sharia law. And since the accused was going to be executed if found guilty, the judges did some serious digging,and found among other things certain “sexts” she had sent to him via cell phone. Also, the apartment was such that he could not have entered without her opening the door for him, or the nanny would have heard. She and he got the same penalty for consensual misconduct. A year in prison, then deported.

There were angry screams from foreign women living there, but justice was actually done very well, IMO.

When I first came to Mexico, one of the first things I did was go to a bookstore, and buy books with the laws in them, and started reading. I recommend this for anyone moving to any other nation. This has made my life much easier, and i would definitely recommend it for anyone going to a nation which has Sharia law. If you don’t like what you read, don’t go there. If you do go there, you must work at avoiding violations. The man I know said he had no troubles, because he pretty much did that.

And, his wife wore the long dress and the head scarf, and made zillions of friends easily. Also, if she realized in the middle of the night they needed groceries, she put on those clothes and walked to the supermarket and back with no fear and no hassle.

"she put on those clothes and walked to the supermarket and back with no fear and no hassle. "

She walked because she was not allowed to drive? Hopefully they will do the same and study the US laws, British laws, French laws, and Canadian laws, and live within them rather than trying to change them to Sharia laws. That hasn’t beent he case though. They have tried to isolate communities and then establish their own laws. Keeping religion out of government is the single most important thing to a free society in my view.

let’s not forget who owns a good portion of Citibank either. All that money going to the Mid east, comes back to us as they invest in US companies.

@dagosa Actually, if Obama OK’d the XL pipeline from Canada and the current surge in domestic oil continues, North American oil sufficiency is on the horizon. Mexico is about to open up its oil development to production sharing with foreign multinationals. This is good news.That means no oil will be from the Middle East, or Venezuela.

One economist mused that if the cost of the Iraq war was spent on helping Mexico develop more oil, that country would be able to export as much oil to the US as it now imports from the entire Middle East. All without having to send US troops there to fight and die.

The Middle East will keep supplying oil to Europe, Asia and other areas.

I’m not suggesting that there is something wrong with free trade in commodities from a purely economic view point. However, since many terrorist training camps are financed with Middle East (mostly Saudi) oil, there might be a good political reason for avoiding that source.

@Docnick,

Every president since Carter has promised to resolve our over-dependence on foreign oil, including Reagan and both Bushes.

@Whitey I agree that the US will likely be forever dependent on some foreign oil. The question is where will it come from. Canada and Mexico can supply a large part of imports and other friendly countries can fill the remaining gap.

When recent experts talked about total energy self sufficiency the were counting the total BTUs in gas, oil , coal and electric power as well as renewables. The US will soon have a massive gas surplus, allowing it to export liquefied natural gas (LNG), while at the same time reducing oil imports.

That does not amount to energy security, however. Security means having long term supplies from domestic and friendly foreign sources. A major war in the Middle East, not unthinkable, will disrupt that region’s oil supply and sent oil to $140 a barrel, much like the 1970 energy crisis.

@docnick
It does not work that way. The " dirty" oil from Canada is presently on a smaller scale, NOT all refined for use in the US. In refined form it is shipped over seas where gas and other refined product prices can then rise here in the US, maximizing the profits of our companies. We DONOT keep a surplus of refined oil products here. It goes over seas ! Where does anyone ever get the idea that private oil companies will purposely only use the hardest to extract oil in our continent just to keep from using less expensive middle east crude Whether we use Middle East oil directly or not, is immaterial. It is on the world market as one of the least expensive oil commodities. It’s all about extraction costs ! We will always " depend " upon Middle East oil to moderate world oil prices because of their lower extraction costs. And, where does anyone think that oil companies give a sweet poop about where the oil comes from. They buy low and sell high and buy from anyone for the lowest price on crude they do not extract for themselves which is almost always higher then middle east oil

Ok “ing” the pipe line which by the way is still opposed by governors of some states it passes through ( as oil sands oil leaks are really, really bad) and is delayed because of states rights in their opposition to it do to environmental concerns. It has less to do with Obama and more to do with the federal government abiding by the wishes of the states the pipeline passes through. The oil pipeline, if passed goes directly to gulf coast refineries and will then be shipped overseas. Middle east oil dependency is not affected.

The only way you can strictly control the crude oil used and where it comes from to be used in our refineries and where the refined products go, is to nationalize our oil companies, like Venezuela. Is that what we are suggesting ? Cause that is the only way you can eliminate our dependency on foreign oil !!!

You want a real reason to be PO’d with Obama ? Let him try that first instead of delaying pipelines.

“Every president since Carter has promised to resolve our over-dependence on foreign oil, including Reagan and both Bushes.”

Exactly
This is part of the standard mantra for every presidential candidate, and the fact that none of them have made much of a dent in the problem after being elected tells you something about the ease with which this could be accomplished.