Air conditioner


I need to put ferron in my 1988 honda accord, how many pounds of presure do I put in?


I’m going to suggest that you take your Honda to someone who really knows A/C. It is obvious from your question that you have no idea what you are doing. Your Honda may still have the old R-12 refrigerant in it. The new R-134a came out about 1993. If your Honda has not been retrofitted with the new stuff, now is the time, but you are not the technician.


With all do respect, I agree with the previous post. You can easily do more damage and end up with some very costly repairs if you don’t do it correctly. Let alone hurt yourself.

Take it to a qualified shop.


To be honest, from the sound of your post you should not attempt to service an A/C. It can be hazardous to someone’s health even if they are experienced.

If your A/C is out of refrigerant that means you have a leak(s) and that must be repaired first.
Unless converted, your car uses R12 (the REAL Freon) and you must be licensed to buy this across the counter.


You can’t buy freon in parts stores anymore. It’s illegal. You will have to take the car to an automotive AC specialist. I suggest converting it to the newer R134A if you plan to keep the car for any length of time, but this is NOT a do-it-yourself project.

Automotive AC repairs require specialized equipment and knowledge. That’s equipment and knowledge that neither you nor I possess. Go to the experts.


Turn this over to an A/C shop. You’re going to pay at least 60 dollars per pound of refrigerant added to the system. That’s the weight of the refrigerant, not the pressure is exerts. At this age it is not uncommon to see a system that has leaked down significantly, but had no actual “leak” per se. A/C systems leak slowly over time. Anything less than 1/2lb per year is considered “acceptable.” You may want to have the system evacuated and recharged instead of just recharged. If there is in fact a leak that would require repairing, it will show up during evacuation because the system won’t be able to hold vacuum. Just to be safe, be sure that the technician adds leak detector dye when recharging.

You may consider having the system converted to R134a so that if any future problems develop, the repair costs then will be lower.