Air Bag Warning Light

the airbag warning light has come in my car. Do I need to get it looked at? What would cause this to come on?

When that warning light shows up, it means that your airbag(s) are no longer functional.
A visit to the dealership or to a trusted mechanic should be scheduled in order to return the airbag(s) to working condition.

And it should be done immediately. The air bag is one of the singular most effective and important pieces of safety equipment in a modern car. It really can save you from serious injury or death. Do not put this repair off.

It would help to know the year of your LS and if you have the optional side curtain air bags (not to be confused with the seat mounted side air bags that all LS have).

The SRS light flashes out a diagnostic code when you first turn the key on. The code is two digits (like 3 flashes, pause, six flashes), and repeats a few times.

The most common cause for the light to be on results in a code of 36 and is almost always the clockspring in the steering wheel. The second most common cause for cars from 2000 to 2002 is a connector under the driver’s seat.

Count the flashes and let use know the code number.

Also, Ford just started a recall of some F150s. The reason is that apparently if you ignore the SRS light on them, the airbags may deploy at random after the light has been on a while.

Ouch!

“The air bag is one of the singular most effective and important pieces of safety equipment in a modern car. It really can save you from serious injury or death.”

Actually, the seat belts are far more effective than air bags. The air bags have been referred to as a ‘Supplemental Restraint System’ as long as they have been around.

I own a car and the bag light has been on for 8 years…The cars drives just fine…What’s the problem??

What’s the problem?? No problem unless you have an collision.

Of course I would rather have the belts rather than just the air bags, but in an accident both functional is best.  But I suspect Caddyman knows that,

I said “one of”, not “the best”. The subject at hand was airbags, not a comparison of the values of different safety features. I stand by my statement.

On a comparative basis, I’d argue that the evolution of “crush zones” combined with “pasenger cabin integrity” in automotive designs has saved more lives than either seat belts or airbags, both of which were great innovations especially when combined. Allowing the front and/or rear ends of the car to absorb the energy at a controlled rate while keeping the passenger containment intact has been the greatest advance. Even in race cars it’s saved countless lives.