After market Car lights and emblems

What are the laws and regulations governing the location and color or lights on cars OEM and after-Market. Is there some place that I can find documentation on the subject ?
Wanted update, but want to make sure that I don’t get sighted.
Thanks

This has information for every state and Washington D.C.

Your best bet is to go to the motor vehicle regulations site (public safety, DMV) for the exact statute or requirements. It will vary by state. In Minnesota they can be no lower than 12" and I believe no higher than 32 or 36. There are specific wattages for all lights on at one time, etc.

1 Like

They need to comply with both the federal standards and what ever the standards in your state. It is all available online, just google Federal Motor carriers ( I think, it’s been a while ) and the laws for your state.

I thought that one of the purposes of vehicle lighting was to be sure that other drivers can see you. Why do you not want to be sighted?
:wink:

5 Likes

Took your advice and went out and looked at the ‘Rules of the Road’ for the state of IL and all the rules were kind of Generic, they seemed to match the sections posted by Oznium. When I searched for the sections posted they all came back as SC laws ??

In short the section from IL was kinda brief, basically stating: no blue lights, no flashing lights (except for turns and hazards), all lights pointed forward must be amber or white, all lights pointing backwards must be red. And one white or amber license plate light.

I have been in downtown Chicago (I don’t live there, just go to Cubs games and Navy pier) and noticed the flatbed trucks driving around with stadium sized led monitors (almost Jumbo trons) on the flat showing advertisements and/or crawl lines.
I just wondered how that is controlled, do they have special permits or what ?
No, flashing lights, but I noticed the new Corvettes have animated turn lights that blink to the left or right. Where are the rules that discuss all of these modifications ?

TIA,
Sid.

FYI, here is what I found in the 'State of IL Rules of the Road":
Restricted Equipment
• Projecting Loads — Loads extending 4 feet or more to the rear of a vehicle must be
marked with a red flag during the day. At night or when visibility is poor, the vehicle must
have a red light visible for 500 feet.
• Back-up lights — Vehicles may have one or more backup lights which shall emit a
white or amber light without glare; however, they may not be on when the vehicle is
moving forward.
• Spotlights — Only one spotlight is allowed on a vehicle. When approaching another
vehicle, it must be directed neither to the left nor more than 100 feet ahead. A vehicle
may not have more than four 300 candlepower lights burning.
• Flashing or moving lights — Flashing or moving lights other than turn signals or hazard
indicators are prohibited, except for police or designated emergency vehicles.
• Red lights — Red lights visible from the front are prohibited, except for police or designated emergency vehicles.
• Running board lights — Limited to one on each side and must be non-glare white or
amber lights.

The mobile billboards are only in certain cities at the moment, many areas have banned them, not sure the exact regulations in Chicago. Sequential turn signals come on Mustangs from the factory, and at least on the 2020+ Corvettes.

Sequential turn signals were introduced on the 64 or 65 T-Birds.

2 Likes

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ChapterID=49&ActID=1815
Here’s a fun filled week of reading. I’m sure all your answers in there somewhere. :crossed_fingers: Probably in chapter 12

Also late model Audis, and today–for the first time–I saw a new-ish Toyota Avalon that had sequential signals.

… and when the Mercury Cougar was introduced in '67, it also had sequential turn signals.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I got what I needed from what you posted.

I with it wasn’t in all that legal ease and just state what the law was intended to do.
For me a chart of Do’s and Don’ts would have been a lot straighter to the point.

Thanks for the link
Sid.