Advice on buying Nissan Rogue

Hello! This weekend, I’m buying either a 2009 Nissan Rogue SL with 89,296 miles or a 2013 Rogue S with 108,318 miles. Price difference is $1,000.

Which is the better choice?? My instinct is to go with lower mileage, but the 2013 is obviously newer & likely has more updated features. (I won’t be able to test drive either until this wknd.)

I’m not a car person & want to make sure I make a smart buy. I’d love input from the community.

Thanks!

My advice is to avoid both in view of Nissan’s worst-in-the-industry record of CVT failures. CVTs are not problematic in most makes, but Nissan’s record with that type of transmission is nothing short of awful.

Do you really want to buy a used vehicle whose transmission is a ticking time-bomb that will explode in your wallet?

6 Likes

Wow. I wasn’t aware - thought Rogues were overall highly rated.
Hmm. Might have to go back to the drawing board. Have had a heck of a time finding a good used compact SUV w/in my budget.

Thanks for your input!

My budget is low and I narrowed it down to rogues. What? No dodge journeys?

Check out the Rogue on carcomplaints.com, the most common complaint for those years is ‘transmission problem’.

People here always recommend getting a pre-purchase inspection from a trusted mechanic. They’ll look for many issues that you probably wouldn’t.

1 Like

The only advice I can give you about buying an out-of-warranty Nissan Rogue is “don’t”.

1 Like

I’m going to follow that advice! Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Oh yes, I plan to, whatever car I end up buying.

1 Like