2013 Nissan Rogue - CVT

I have a Nissan Rogue with a CVT transmission. I’ve read these trannys fail around 50,000 miles. What’s the best way to deal with the safety issues when one goes out?

Not sure what safety issues you are asking about. But if there is catastrophic failure you just pull ove to the dis of the road like any other problem. But with most transmissions there will be warning signs that there are problems before complete failure .

Keep your cell phone charged with the number of a trusted towing service and a trusted mechanic to repair or replace the transmission.

1 Like

If the transmission does fail, it might mean scrapping the car since you will be in for a $4000 or so repair bill. I don’t know of any shop that repairs or rebuilds these units.

Best change the fluid regularly as required and drive modestly.

Maybe not a cost involved

• Nissan CVT issues are common among Nissan vehicles. Otherwise known as a continuously variable transmission, the feature was intended to increase the performance of vehicles by creating smoother gear shift capability. From 2012 to 2018, several models of Nissan vehicles received the transmission, including the Sentra, Versa, Versa Note, Altima, Rogue, and Murano models.
  • Some of the most common issues with the vehicles directly relate to the transmission. Reported issues include loss of power, transmission jerking, transmission slipping, CVT coolant hose leaks and failures, and a CVT error message being displayed. These problems call the Nissan CVT transmission reliability into question and can result in serious harm to unsuspecting drivers.
  • Nissan extended the warranty on some of these vehicles equipped with the CVT transmission from 5 years or 60,000 miles to 10 years or 120,000 miles. The extension covers repairs, replacements, and towing for issues related to the continuously variable transmission. For the warranty to be effective, vehicle owners must take their Nissan to a dealership for repairs.
    http://www.lemonlawcase.com/problem-vehicles/nissan-cvt-problems/

Don’t believe everything you hear. The 2013 Rogue’s transmission is rated better than average reliability for Transmission, Major and much better than average reliability for Transmission, Minor.

The only systems that rate below average reliability are Climate System and Suspension. Overall it has better than average reliability. – Consumer Reports, April 2019.

I may be in the minority . . .

I believe cvt fluid should be serviced every 25K or 30K

2 Likes

I suppose it might fail while you are in the middle of the freeway. In which case you’ll just have to pull over to the shoulder and call for a tow truck on your cellphone, so take heed to the cellphone advice above. Most likely it will never fail in 200K miles, as long as you keep all the routine maintenance tasks up to date. To increase your odds of a trouble free CVT, do the transmission maintenance tasks a few mile intervals shorter than recommended by your owner’s manual. If it ever does fail, very good chance there will be noticeable symptoms for hundreds of miles before it fails completely. If If owned a Rogue, besides keeping the routine servicing on schedule – sans symptoms – transmission failure wouldn’t be something I’d even think about.

30K is what Nissan prescribes on “premium” (read “proper”) maintenance.
2013 is the first year for the 3rd gen CVTs.
I had a CVT falure at 42K miles on my wife’s 2013 Sentra.

I totally support the recommendation on replacing CVT fluid every 30K miles on Nissans, although for myself I decided to ditch both 2013 Sentra and 2012 Altima, as both developed symptoms of CVT slippage and failed me in my plan to keep them over long time.