Advice for a potential 2009 Volvo C70 purchase

Many of the people who have responded to this thread have much more automotive knowledge than I do, but I will add one thing:

No matter what vehicle you ask about, there will always be a group of people who will find something wrong with it.

When I bought my 1998 Cadillac Seville back in 2006, an awarded and experienced local mechanic told me that he’s “never met a happy Cadillac owner” because the electronic components are always failing.

As of this point, 8 years and 140,000 miles of driving later, I haven’t had one electronic component fail that I can remember.

Now if he had told me about the Northstar head bolt issues…

Stay away from European SUVs

Unless you have deep pockets and don’t mind the car being in the shop quite often

From 2007 through 2010 the VW EOS has minimal problems with all systems. Edmunds estimates $3500 in repairs and $3300 in maintenance over the next 5 years for the EOS. That is half their estimate for the C70 and $1700 less than the Lexus IS 350C. As long as it was treated well by the original owner, you have a reasonable chance of success. If you find one you like, remember o have a mechanic you trust do a pre-purchase inspection. It should cost about $100 and can save a lot more if there are hidden problems.

I plan to have it looked at when purchasing, thank you for the advice. I read some of the failures and they seemed small except for the roof, which I don’t mind maintaining and read from other owners is a relatively easy maintenance that can be performed at home with lubricant.

The features that these new cars have is staggering in it’s complexity, so I can see why there are $4000 in repairs after 5 years and used is not recommended in these over accessorized new cars. I’m appreciative of less complicated so there’s less to go wrong, but I don’t believe that I can gather the courage to get a classic car. Plus the seats are nicer now. :slight_smile:

Thank you all.

Good luck @dvorsha‌. Let us know what you buy and how much you like it.