2004 Volvo C70 convertible

Hi guys! My wife and I are very interested in a used 2004 Volvo C70 convertible. Would you consider this car reliable? I know is will cost a little more to repair than my 1998 Ford Winstar. I researched the 2006-08 Beetle convertible too, but the more I read, the less I want to buy one. Thanks.

DiVitto

Consumer Reports lists the 2004 C70’s frequency of repair as being “Better than Average”, overall.

The trouble spots that are listed include:
“Transmission, major–Worse than average”
“Electrical system–Much worse than average” (which is typical of Volvos)
“Suspension–Worse than average”
“Body Integrity–Much worse than average” (translation: they rattle on rough pavement like many convertibles)
“Audio System–Worse than average”

Areas that are listed as “Much Better Than Average” include the engine, fuel system, climate control system, brakes, and paint.

Consider WHERE the car comes from. I don’t think engineers from a cold country like Sweden have much experience designing reliable convertible roofs. It’s possible that model was made spefically for the American market to increase sales in the U.S. For example, I have a friend who owned 2 Volvos. He said his cars’ heaters were excellent but complained his cars’ AC systems were only marginally good.

Yikes! Thanks for the info. Not much of a ringing endorsement for that model. Is there anything you might recommend in the 10-12K range?

If you are looking for something sporty and reliable in that price range, then you should look at:

2004 Ford Mustang V-8
2004 Infiniti i35
2003 Mazda Miata
2006 Scion tC
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
2006 Toyota Solara

If your interests are broader, then you might want to look at cars like a 2006 Ford Fusion, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria, 2005 Honda Accord, 2007 Hyundai Sonata, 2003 Lexus ES, 2004-05 Lincoln Town Car, 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis, or a 2005 Toyota Camry.

All of the cars listed above are in the CR list of reliable used cars in the $10-$12k price range.

Be careful generalizing about some countries being cold…

Tromso, Norway, for example, has average highs of about 60 in July with lows around 48. In January, their highs average 28 and their lows 20. The coldest it has ever been there in recorded history was -4. There are huge swaths of the US that routinely get colder than this…

And this in despite of the fact that the sun sets on November 21st and rises on January 15th, and being almost exactly 2000 miles north of New York City (or about 44 miles south of Prudhoe Bay)

Hello. I’m still hoping to find a used convertible for around 10K. What do you think of early 2000 Saabs? Thanks.

Not a whole lot.

The best convertibles are the ones that were designed from the ground up to be a convertible. Cars like the 3rd gen MR2, S2000, Miata/MX5, etc.

Cars that were normal cars which were then re-designed as convertibles tend to have to have heavy bracing added (the roof in a regular car is a major structural component), and even then there’s a lot of body flex.

Hi. I didn’t realize that. Would you advise staying away from a use 2006-08 Beetle convertible? I would only consider it if I can get some type of warranty. Thanks.

I would advise staying away from a Beetle, whether or not its a convertible. VW’s are not known for reliability, which is too bad because their cars are usually very nicely designed from a looks standpoint.

You might find an '02 to '05 Ford Thunderbird with high mileage for around $10K.

MSN Autos says that there are occasional problems: failure of the Engine Intake Valves, Leak Detection Pump, Upper Torque Mount, and Crankcase Ventilation Hose under the intake manifold. If they all went up, it would cost about $2000. But the problems are infrequent enough that they still give the C70 a good reliability rating.

DiVitto–

I guess you are not aware that the Toyota Solara was available as a convertible.
If you can find one, it would be far more reliable than an 8-10 year old Saab.

Hi. That’s what I’m reading. It is a shame. The Beetle has a nice design, but not reliable. Is it true an oil change costs $70?

I like the Thunderbirds, but I need room for my two kids. The Solara might be the best option. Take care.