Accelerator pedal getting stuck

2000 Integra with 95k miles in an excellent condition - used pedal jack when parked

I had to make a left turn and ramp up so put it on D3 - I pressed the accelerator and when I felt the speed could be higher (I am not comfortable to drive up the hills) so I must have pressed hard on the accelerator. It then responded

Not sure what was happening, I started breaking and steering - still around 30mph, guessing - it was not a wild drive.

Still not satisfied, I moved to gear 2 and stopped the car. Realized the car is still pulling, turned off the engine and realized the accelerator pedal is stuck.

I pulled it and it has been fine! With the engine off, I pushed the pedal hard and it always bounced back. Not sure that the getting in and out the pedal jack had been interferring with the accel pedal. It also looks like the engineers did a good job that with the stuck accel pedal, I did not end up in a wild drive - I had to brake and move the tranny to 2 but was able stop it - it was a mild up the hill, but unsure if it played a big role.

There had not been any such recalls on this car - do not want just anyone to work on this pedal as I am concerned that they might make it worse given it is not a new car.

Any advice or tips?

I’m Not Sure What An Integra Is, But Stuff Happens On Cars When They Get To 13 Or 14 Years Of Age (91 To 98 In “Car-Years”).

Think 91 To 98 Year Old Senior Citizen. Try And Make It Comfortable And Take Care !

You Can Chase Things Forever On Old Cars. If It’s Not One Thing, It’s Something Else.

CSA

Shoot a little Liquid Wrench on the throttle shaft if you can see it, both ends. Sometimes there is corrosion. You might want the throttle return spring(s) checked too. Something may be interfering with it.

Could be deposits of dust/unburned fuel “varnish” in the throttle body. The throttle plate sticks to it. I have had success with this problem by spraying with carb or MAF sensor cleaner and brushing it with a toothbrush. I try to soak up what I can with a rag so it doesn’t end up going past the MAF sensor and into the cylinders.

Don’t use MAF sensor or carb cleaner on a throttle body. Some throttle body’s have a special coating inside them that prevents deposits. And these solvents can damage/remove that coating

Instead use a Throttle Body/Air Intake system cleaner. These are formulated to clean without damaging any special coatings.

Tester

The right tool for the job… but many times I’ve improvised. I hope this time I did no harm. Thanks for that info, Tester. I did not know that. I thought the only concern with some solvents was their possible harm to sensors in the fuel/air stream.

@Tester “special coating inside them that prevents deposits”

Are you perhaps thinking of Ford?

Their throttle bodies get dirty, same as everybody else

@Tester:
Could u give an example of such product - Throttle Body/Air Intake system cleaner?

With the “/” it is causing a bit of confusion - I don’t think that found it online.

Are they available at Amazon, PepBoys, Kragen or Autozone?

Thanks

@sciconf

This is right up your alley

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Throttle-Plate-Intake-Cleaners/_/R-MMM08866_0006436467

All of the parts stores have several different brands to choose from

The link db4690 supplied is for a throttle plate/carb cleaner.

Here’s what you want to get. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_throttle-body-and-air-intake-cleaner-crc_7040065-p#fragment-1

Tester

Thanks everyone - I did my first shot assisted by a great mechanically minded friend;
But …
Should the throttle body to be removed to clean inside properly?

Also the sprayed liquid - though it will evaporate - the design of the engine manifold it gets inside the engine.

He tells me he is not sure how great the job was due to limited accessibility - smaller diameter of the throttle.

Is anything more should I do?" Should I repeat before every engine oil change?

You just need to clean around the throttle plate and the back of the throttle plate. The hydrocarbons build up and can cause it to stick. Clean metal on metal is all you need.

And, just remember, if your gas pedal sticks, put the car in neutral (N) and steer it to a safe place. The engine WILL NOT blow up.

Removing the throttle body is the best way to clean it, but you can do an adequate job by havinf someone step on the gas pedal to hold the plate open for you, the spray the appropriate cleaner onto a soft paper towel (I use Bounty) or cotton rag and clean the bulk of the carbon off that way, then spray around the pivot points to get the rest.