Abs BREAKS

i HAVE A 2001 Chevy S10. The ABS light has been coming on intermittly. Is this a major problem or can I contiue to drive the truck without fear of the breaks failing?

I’m no expert, but from everything I’ve seen on these boards in the past, your normal brakes should be fine. It’s just the ABS part that may not work when needed. So leave extra space ahead of you if it’s slippery out.

People please the word is BRAKE not break!

I’m afraid it’s a lost cause. We’re doomed to hear stories of Toyota Camarys with broken axels and Carollas that loose power when breaking after switching to Mobile 1 oil.

LOL, the spell checker won’t help with everything.

You don’t have much to worry about. As long as your normal brakes are working properly, you will be fine. ABS is only suppose to be a safety feature when your brakes lock up with hard braking. I hate ABS brakes myself and usually if i see a light indicating a problem with them, i sigh with relief. LOL. As long as the “Brake” light isn’t on, you wont have a problem. If it is on, then there is a problem and the truck should not be driven.

Sadly, I agree with you. A lot of people apparently were daydreaming about their cars, rather than paying attention when they were in school.

One of the things that mystifies me the most, is that a lot of people don’t seem to know how to spell the make or model of the car that they are driving, despite seeing it spelled out every day when they walk past the car! (Of course, most of those people also think that “a lot” is spelled “alot”!)

Ok, ok i know I’m not the brightist tool in the tool box. I have been meaning to reright the dictionary to help the world with english. Double and silant leters…gone, one word i.e. break,brake. You get the pitcure. Thank you all that acualy answered my question.

Mark

It indicates that there may be a problem with the ABS part of the brakes. It is not an indication of anything about the standard brakes. They should be fine.

However I do recommend that you get it checked and repaired. It is an indication of a possible problem with the ABS and that could cause reduced control during an emergency stop under slippery conditions and by the time you find out it is too late.

I agree - pickup trucks are very prone to locking up the rear brakes when they don’t have a load in the bed (which is the usual case).

I think ABS is more important on a pickup than on a sports car!

Persnally, I’d sugjest geting it fxed. Its proabable just a bad weel sensar.

You English majors having fun with this one?

• mountainbike

Ok, ok i know I’m not the brightist tool in the tool box. I have been meaning to reright the dictionary to help the world with english. Double and silant leters…gone, one word i.e. break,brake. You get the pitcure. Thank you all that acualy answered my question.

Mark

Thank you for explaining your error and proving my point.

Personally, I’d suggest getting it fixed. It?s probably just a bad wheel sensor.

I agree with Mountainbike. At the very least take it to a shop and have it scanned for codes.
~Michael

I had a problem with my 1995 Blazer last year and the ABS light kept coming on and making a kind of grinding noise that ABQ does when it is slippery but it wasn’t slippery. Also, radio was flickering and a faint ghostly light flickered on the dash. Turned out the alternator was going bad. By the time we found it I had to replaced the battery too cuz one of the cells wouldn’t hold a charge. So check the alternator first just to be sure before ignoring the light and getting stuck.