About fuel injector cleaner

I actually decided that this character must be a troll. And if not a troll I give up anyway.

Normally, a clogged fuel injector will throw a misfire code, which would be a P030X code. I suppose if neglected long enough, it could possibly throw some other codes, but if it really is a clogged injector it will normally show a misfire code only. As others have already stated, there is no code that will tell you that your fuel injector is clogged, and Autozone is a terrible place to go for diagnostic advice. They are in the business of selling auto parts, so their “diagnosis” will always point to parts replacement. If you’re lucky, the parts they sell you will solve the problem. You can get your codes read there, but don’t believe anything they say about the code or how to solve the problem.

If you really do suspect a clogged injector and want to try a cleaner to solve the problem, try one that feeds through the test port on your fuel rail. I believe CarQuest sells a kit that does this. The tools and chemicals are somewhat pricey, but can be highly effective. You will need to disconnect your fuel pump to run the cleaner effectively. The 3.4L engine is kind of notorious for dead injectors, but they normally throw P0301-P0306, not the circuit malfunction codes.

Yes this thread is quite funny. OP is dead set on the scan tool saying it’s a clogged injector. I know that the scan tool never says anything like that. The code reader that autozone is gonna use it going to spit out a code, the 12 year olds that work there and think they are ASE certified mechanics put the code into their little register and it prints out a list of possible causes. Codes just give you a vague idea and you have to narrow it down from there. Plus if an injector was “plugged” it would cut the fuel supply off to that cylinder and make the engine misfire, then causing it to throw a misfire code as well.

I love auto parts store employees, once I had a minor starting problem due to a TSB, with a small electrical problem. I was not aware of the TSB yet and went to the auto parts store to have them checking the starting and charging system. Everything came back normal so the parts store guy, who was in his 50’s at least, said “You’ve got water in your fuel system, throw some fuel injector cleaner in it” That turned into a huge arguement because that was the dumbest response I’ve ever heard in my life.

I say no shame in getting sucked in by a troll as our inital response is to try and help. If someone wants to keep us busy with circular type posting I can easily deal with the time spent, but sooner or latter I will catch on.

I’ve read through the entire thread with some interest. I believe it’s not a trol, but rather someone honestly struggling with a problem. Lacking evidence to the contrary, I’d rather waste an answer on a troll than leave an honest person struggling.

My suggestion is to change the suspect injector out with one of the others and see if the fault code folows the injector. If it does, change out the injector. If not, you know you have to do some more analysis.

Alternatively, you could simply change the injector and see if the problem disappears. That way you’ll know for sure. Injectors are not that expensive.

Alternatively, you could simply change the injector and see if the problem disappears. That way you’ll know for sure. Injectors are not that expensive.

On some vehicles…$200 apiece.

This was a big deal on early 90’s Corvettes. The injectors were labor intensive to change out and also expensive. It ran about 50/50 as to the number of customers that only replaced the “suspect” injectors and those that chose to do all.

I say “suspect” as I have found that with fuel injectors there was always a greater amount of doubt than with other parts as to if the injector was really the cause of the driveability concern.

We really have not touched on measuring the amperage demand by each injector (to test solenoid health) and simply OHMing the electrical part of the injector. These are two simple tests that will make you more confident in your diagnosis.

I’m reluctant in this case to suggest anything as technical measuring current draw. And measuring resistance of any coil is iffy.

From a maintenance standpoint those 'Vettes were a nightmare. Nothing normal was accessable. I doubt that the Monte in question will be that difficult.

The ones for the Monte run about $50.

The automechanic part of the ID is obviously a misnomer but maybe the 1993 part denotes the year of birth. This would mean a 17 year old who is mechanically uniformed and for some reason chooses to argue the point about a clogged injector code.

Just for the mental file, I’d like to know what the code for a clogged injector is. Ditto for a clogged tank strainer or fuel filter code… :wink:

I agree 100%

Don’t know about gum-out, but as a maintenance item, I occasionally run a little Toluene through the fuel system. Seems to work as injector probs have not occurred. Not so easy to get now as it once was.