A used Honda from the dearler

I found out this week that my daughter bought a Honda two week ago, I forgot the Model. She bought from a Honda deale, It is a used one owner 2004 Honda with 90,000 some miles on it. It looks and runs good according to her, In fact, Everything work. Next week the dealer is going to do oil change which is the only thing that the car need. She told me that the dealer told her that the body of the car will go before than the engine anyway. I am a street guy and a good mechanic too and I have been dealing with car all my life, but something is bothering me now. 2004 Honda with 90,000 some miles in good shape it is possible, but the prices $5,000 dollars, It sound too good to me for that price. I don’t know may be it is me that I am thinking too fast…Do I? What do you thinking?

Uhhh!

We really need to know the model and trim level. An Accord EX V6 will be worth a lot more than an Accord DX. About $4000, actually. Note that the price might be lower because it could need a new timing belt soon. She should ask if it has been replaced. If not, it will cost about $1000 for the replacement. The 1.7L 4 cylinder uses a timing belt, as does the V6. The 2.0L 4 cylinder does not use a timing belt.

Another factor to consider is…Surprisingly, the body Condition is more important to the dealer than the motor. Whether it’s a reasonable price depends upon the condition of the body. It means nothing that the dealer said the motor will outlast the body. Uninspectable rust in two more years makes this a worthless comparison. If the body is in excellent condition, good deal regardless of motor type. If there are rust bubbles anywhere, poor.

Are You Saying That $5000 For This 7 To 8 Year-Old Car With Almost 100,000 Miles And An Unknown History Is Low ? That All Depends . . .

Being a street guy and a mechanic then you know that the history of the car and the care and maintenance it received are what’s really important. Often with a used car like this, one takes a gamble, a roll of the dice. The fact that every thing works is a good sign.

She told me that the dealer told her that the body of the car will go before than the engine anyway.” You’re a street guy and a mechanic. Is this a true statement or does this depend on how the car was maintained ? Could somebody who failed to do regular oil changes and neglect changing transmission fluid shorten engine and perhaps transmission life, considerably ? Or doesn’t it really matter ?

To answer your question, it all depends on the condition of the car and that depends mainly on how it was cared for previously. Did the dealer have that information ? Did they have all the service records or were they blowing smoke ?
Good deal ? Time will tell.

CSA

Car Was Purchased Two Weeks Ago.
“Next week the dealer is going to do oil change which is the only thing that the car need.”

This begs a question. Why did this car not have fresh oil and filter and why was the change needed after purchase ? Was it overdue or just not enough miles on it, yet ?

CSA