A new car for Mustangman?

For George.
Remember there are all different types and classes of races. All have different rules and requirements.
In the early, post war days of stock car races (now NASCAR) some drivers drove their race cars to the track.
Gymkhana races, in the 60s, simply require good brakes, tires, and dual throttle return springs. Race courses were setup in parking lots.
Obviously, or it should be obvious, the referenced Mustang would not be used in F1 racing, but with a few changes would qualify for
an SCCA class.

Still very popular today. Called Solo 2 by the SCCA… you know, the Secret Car Club of America :laughing: Still happening but hard to find even if you are looking for it. My local solo 2 group was 5 miles away but I had tk drive 90 miles to an event in Sebring to find out about it. A guy parked beside me told about it.

You can race anything but a tall tippy SUV or truck. I raced my buddies 2wd S10 pickup once or twice back in the 80s.

I’ll throw in a few pennies. Now you just need half the US population to do the same.

1 Like

The price isn’t firm yet but estimates say $325,000…

If everyone in the US donates $1, that pretty much covers the price…

Need an extra $25,000 for sales tax and misc… all this assumes the “dealer added profit” and re-sellers doesn’t push the price to half a mil…

I gotta say, I am not optimistic! :laughing:

And then there are the operating costs… $400 for a track day, and who knows how much for trackday insurance plus maybe $20K a year for road insurance??

2 Likes

You only need about 17% of the Orlando metro area to donate $1 to hit your $350,000 goal. Alternatively, they could all donate 17 cents, not even milk money at school!

That reminds me of when Soupy Sales told all the viewing kids to find pictures of George Washington on their parent’s dressers and send them to him. Yes, he got pictures of dead presidents, but not many.

:laughing:
I was going to ask the price, but as the saying goes “if you have to ask…” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You can give me what’s left over - which is about $161,675,000.00

2 Likes

Those pesky zeros… :laughing:

1 Like

Good thing is unlike a lot of people out there, I already built a beefy rear-end, transmission, and the custom drive shaft is good for about 700HP (Street/strip NA, might add a small 100 shot later), I’ll never be able to run with the forced induction guys like the Hellcats etc, but I am looking to run with or beat the NA Scat Packs etc… Don’t really care if I win, as long as it is a close race… But yeah I know what you are saying… lol

Run the brackets and maybe you can race Hellcats. I bet you’d have a whale of a good time.

1 Like

Heads up, run what you brung is more funner…

I can just see all the members cringing right now with my exceptional grammar and spelling… :grin:

1 Like

If that gets anyone going, this will drive them nuts!

Capture2

:grinning:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

The post seemed to imply the reason for the ban was b/c of the sub-9 second time the car was capable of. Is that the rule you are referring to?

I have a friend who sticks the corners of her paintings to the wall so they will never not be level. That picture would drive her over the edge!

IIRC. As long as your vehicle retains the original floor, firewall, etc., a 8-Point Roll Bar allows you to run as quick as 10.00 seconds in the 1/4 mile, running quicker than 9.99 seconds in the 1/4 mile is required to run a 12 point roll cage, 8.50 really gets more involved…

There is also MPH specs as well as T-tops and convertibles…

Here is the rule book, only 426 pages, feel free to read up…

BTW: I do not want a roll bar/cage in my car…

It seems Ford now has its own version of Dodge’s Hellcat

1 Like

It’s beyond the Hellcat, which is more if a drag racer, not a road racer.

1 Like

Sure, but no one said anything about “charity” or “fraud”. Couldn’t someone simply post that they want the money to buy a fun car, without saying or implying that they are a charity?

I am not familiar with GoFundMe or other similar sites. And this is, of course, a purely academic discussion, for entertainment only.

My understanding is that anyone can use these sites to ask random people to contribute to their “cause”, which does not necessarily have to be a charitable or nonprofit “cause”, In fact, I seem to recall hearing about people posting on these sites to request money to launch a product or business.

So hypothetically speaking, it should be possible for someone to request money to put toward their dream of owning a fun car, right?

2 Likes

There are a couple of Gofundme requests to help buy a ford mustang currently, Neither has more than $100 donated so far. People can ask for a dream car for themselves but it’s up to the public if they want to contribute