‘A mouse moved into my car. I decided she could stay.’

She’ll have a good supply of babies.

Had one once. I pulled into a warm hangar on a very cold day and left the doors open. I sat down in the office for half an hour and then got in the car and drove outside. I never saw the mouse again. I used to see it hop away whenever I opened a door.

Not to mention mice feces.

Back about 30 or so years ago, the home we had then had a nice barn-like shed, 12’x16’ in the back yard. We fed the birds and kept the birdseed bag in an open 5-gallon bucket. One day, I noticed the bag had a hole chewed in it and noticed some mouse droppings. I taped up the hole, put a cover on the bucket, but left a small bit of birdseed on the floor next to the bucket.

What a mistake that was, it did not take long before the shed was overrun with mice, droppings everywhere, and they were not satisfied with the birdseed; so many things had chew marks.

I emptied the shed of everything and found 3 or 4 nests all with babies, and had a terrible time cleaning out all that mess, brooms, vacuums, and a leaf blower was needed.

Don’t do it, do not invite a mouse to stay. You will regret it…

This is your last warning… L :mouse: L . . .

We used to have a Mazda Protoge that mice seemed to love, Some twine in the cowl where the wiper transmission lives pulled one arm loose and disabled the wipers until we figured it out and fixed it one Christmas Ever, Twice a little friend appeared from under the hood while driving, the last one when we were on I-5 heading to work at 60mph. Got caught in the wind and vanished over the roof. Didn’t have any wiring issues thankfully.

3 Likes

People have died from Hauntavirus fromice droppings.
A young husband and wife died after cleaning outheir shed.

When I was called to clean a shed, I misthe place with isopropyl alcohol many times, getting everything somewhat damp.
Wore a mask to further diminish chances of inhaling anything.
Placed a box fan in the window blowing out so fresh air was coming in from behind me.

Yeah from dried urine. If I remember right it was mainly a southwest thing. I don’t like mice at all. Where there is one there is usually two, and then more arrive. It seemed worse at our old house where there was a corn field in back. Never had one in the house but in the garage. I try to button stuff up pretty tight.

1 Like

Good way to destroy a car and invite health problems. They may look all cute and furry but they are nasty, dirty creatures that are very difficult to eradicate once they have a foothold. If you see one mouse, you can bet there are many more…

Interesting situation lol just be cautious because there are certainly more little fellas.

I’ve told this story here before: teenage-me worked a summer job as a cattle ranch hand. My job was to drive a 1960’s VW Beetle here and there delivering a hay to cows. Mice like living in the hay, and it became too time consuming to chase them out of the car every day, so I just let them stay. There were usually 2 or 3 in the car all the time. Somehow both the car and I survived.

Ok I’ll bite. The only ones I’ve ever met I’ve either killed or tried to. Rumor is that Walt Disney was very poor and could hardly afford his noon sandwich. A mouse used to appear at lunch time and he would share his sandwich with it. That’s where he got the idea for Mickey. And the rest is history.

In 2011 i was painting our little church at the cemetery. I stored my ladders and generator inside where they could be locked up. I ran into some hornets and had a can of spray hanging in the alcove. When i opened the door to grab the spray, i felt a tap on my shoulder and a mouse running away. I pulled everything out as fast as i could and have never been inside there again. Sorry i just can’t deal with those critters.

Get a cat. End of rodent problems.

1 Like

Yeah, what could go wrong there…

1 Like

We also use a five-gallon bucket for our birdseed. I highly recommend a Gamma Seal lid for easier access than the standard snap-on lid.

We switched to a metal bucket on our deck. We have more trouble with squirrels than mice. Last year they chewed an 8 inch hole in the back of the plastic chest on the deck to get a winter hide away.

I’m thankful that my operation Murder Mouse succeded in trapping the several mice in my garage a couple of years ago. Between traps and lots of ground cinnamon along the base of the garage walls the little pests have decided to leave my garage and car alone since evicting the one nested under the engine cowling and sticky trapping two others. Very fortunately, the one in the engine was found early before any damage or nasty stuff was done to the car. But this reminds me its time to check under the engine cowling again to stay on the safe side.

I use a case cutter to cut that “locking lip” off the top, then the lid will fit tightly, not pop off but will still seal without locking… I also use a 5-gallon bucket for fishing and sitting… I cut a piece of foam rubber to fit inside the inner part of the lid and hot glued a piece of carpet onto the foam. It makes for a comfy seat.

When my son lived in Mason, Michigan, his home was on a well, and before he installed the generator, and when the power went out, he had no water. So the toilets did not flush. He tried keeping buckets of water in his insulated garage for “emergency flushing”, but one time, the insulation in the garage was inadequate and the buckets still froze.

His home already had three bathrooms, so he made himself n portable “4th room,” he fastened a toilet seat onto a cut-out bucket lid. The bucket lid kept the seat from sliding around and was a lot more comfortable than just sitting on the bucket…

More than Inquiring minds want to know…

I lived with outhouses for years.