A little home garage humor

2 Likes

My first car accident happened backing out of my family’s garage. Front bumper’s side protrusion bent a metal flange surrounding the garage door opening. I thought I was going to be on the receiving end of boisterous complaints, but when I showed my parents the dent, my dad just brought out his hammer and banged it back into place.

What, you think I’m laughing? I managed to break my right mirror three times already hitting the side of the garage. $60 at rock for an exact replacement, so not a big loss. Last time though I went ahead and ordered the set of right and left to have on hand. Then I don’t have to wait to replace it. I’m pretty careful now though but have the part in stock.

No years ago about 1966, my mother managed to back through the door without opening it all the way. I never actually saw it. She called the builder and got it fixed same day. Knew exactly what to do. Maybe it wasn’t the first time. Stuff happens. Of course now with beeping back up cameras . . .

1 Like

That’s one strong Mirror.

Some of those side mirror designs incorporate spring-hinges to help prevent the mirror from breaking off during a back-up incident. That design is not used on my Corolla however.

1 Like

The outer housing shattered when it happend on the passenger side of our 1990 Mazda Protoge but the good news is we could epoxy it back together since the part the mirror glass is attached to survived intact. Salvage yard glass and rattle can black and it worked. There must have been some sort of spring hinge when we thought it was a goner going through a car wash. Popped back into place that time.

Yeah spring loaded but I think for going forward instead of backward. Just the glass broke once which was $10 on line. I’d have to look up who but a major supplier and used on several cars. Crack the housing though and just order a new one.