A little EV problem

I need an 18” bar, unfortunately. That’s what’s in the pic, sitting on the felled tree. Diameter of some of the trees is 24” or more. When we built the house (17 or so years ago), the trees were much easier to handle. Obviously, you know they’re growing, but you don’t realize how much until one dies and you’re standing under it with a saw!

CarTalk or ChainsawTalk?
Guess I will join in, have stood in the back of my pickup (TruckTalk) to use my corded pole saw. Though some might consider that unsafe!

2 Likes

I do that all the time to trim berries off my palm trees. Works great because I do not like ladders!

Yep, pickup’s way better than ladders. Know folks badly injured from ladder falls, not going to happen in a (stationary) pickup bed.

1 Like

This shows that the smaller the device, the better electric looks vs gas.

I got a 14" corded chain saw years ago for cutting small stuff by the house.
Because of the rock solid torque of the electric motor it takes just as much care as using my larger 18" Husqvarna gas saw.

1 Like

I don’t seem to have the luck to keep a gas saw for 10-15 years.
A tree fell on my previous 7 y.o. Husky.
My BIL forgot to add oil to the gas with the one before that (then he bought me the tree-killed one).

1 Like

I got an Ego battery saw which uses the same battery as my lawn mower. The saw is just what I need for cutting up downed branches from storms. Anything bigger and I’m calling the tree surgeon, anyway.

2 Likes

The saw that I got rid of a year ago (finally unable to get it to start and run reliably) was a 1997 Craftsman (Poulan) lol. Pretty much as long as you replace fuel lines and filter periodically and use ethanol free gas (and don’t drop a tree on them) the older saws would run a long time. The 97 ran better than this newer one (when it was running). More power. Less “efficient” per epa. Newer saw is “high efficiency” = weak and boggy.

Don’t disagree. I just don’t want a “light duty limb saw” and a “medium tree saw”. I just want a saw to do whatever I decide to do with. Gas engine appears to be the way to go for that, at least for the time being.

1 Like

Will this work? :smile:

5 Likes

I’ve done that too. Good way to trim branches that overhang city street. Big fine here if any branches are less than 20 feet above street. Calif, well … lol …

My BIL needed a little extra reach with his ladder so put it in the bed of the pick up and up he went. All was well until the kids jumped in the bed of the pick up. Called hang on up there.

I use my smaller saw for limbing once the tree is down and my 18" Stihl for bucking. I bought it after our tornado. Can’t beat it for running all day long cutting up trees, but you do have to winterize it and watch the fuel. But for just occassional use an electric will do fine, but when it hits the fan and trees down and power outage, ya know ya gotta be prepared.

As long as I’m nowhere near it!

2 Likes

Thankfully our police department uses gasoline powered vehicles since those never run out of fuel.

They should switch to PHEVs. They’re less dependent on charging stations, but offer lots of the benefits of EVs, including lower emissions.

Do your police-folk leave their car engines idling, even when parked? Even when they aren’t in the car, inside the coffee shop or etc? I see that all the time in this area, always wondered why? Seems like a big waste of gasoline and associated ill effects. Hopefully there’s a valid reason.

maybe to keep their computers powered up and online. plus keeping the a/c on in the summer months is a plus. LOL

3 Likes

To run the AC to keep the dogs alive.
In non-K9 units, possible to keep the computers and whatnot booted LEO vehicles have installed.

1 Like

Oops, I should have read your response before commenting.

Yes, definitely could be the explanation. If it was just the computers, seems the normal battery could keep them running for several hours with the engine off.