A/c problem

i have a 2002 jeep grand cherokee and the a/c shuts off then comes back on periodically. i wonder what this is? any ideas?? it is blowing cold when it decides to work. thanks!

Most likely low on refrigerant, possibly from a small leak. If it just gets to low, the compressor will cycle on and off as the low pressure safety switch is triggered. I suggest you have the pressures read to confirm this. If low, it can be re-charged with a shot of R-134a.

Automotive AC is a wonderful thing, when it works. When it doesn’t work it’s a major headache.

As with any and all automotive AC problems, I suggest you take your vehicle to an independent shop that specializes in automotive cooling and AC systems. These folks are the experts. They know automotive AC, and that’s what you want.

great, thank you very much!! i will have it checked out.

I will just add that often your local A/C shop is also your local radiator shop. If you live in a hot area, it will be an A/C shop that also does radiators and if you live in a cold area, it will be a radiator shop that does A/C.