A/C Belt Fit for Honda Civic w/Different Engine

Hey everyone, my son recently acquired a 1997 Honda Civic EX (coupe) that has a VTEC engine from a 2000 Civic SI. While this mismatch is apparently great for several reasons, it means that the belt that serves the A/C compressor won’t fit. Has anyone dealt with something like this before?

Very unlikely that any one who has this problem will see your post. What I would do is take a piece of rope , wrap it around in the same path that it needs to be , measure and take the rope and measurements to your local parts store and see if they can match it.

2 Likes

Look around here for the closest match to your needs:
Product | Gates US
Also, check on Honda Civic forums.

1 Like

Or if the pulley’s are multi-groove, use an old belt equal to or narrower than the pulley, cut open and wrapped around the pulleys to measure length.

Then go to the site @texases linked for the part number of the closest size belt.

fyi, for future posts you’ll get a better response for this sort of question in the “maintenance/repair” category here.

Thanks- I just moved it

Very cool putting a B16 in place of a D16Y8 in an older Civic, but since they never installed this that year, you are going to have to either measure and do a buy and try, or figure out what brackets they used for the swap, if they used a B16 swap kit, the new belt number might be in the instructions, if homemade, you are measuring and then buying and trying to one fits right…

But you should be able to use a 2000 Civic SI AC belt number if they swapped a complete engine in, but if they changed heads or anything else then you have to measure…

My son did a D15 original block but with a Y7 next gen head (OBD2 vs OBD1) and had to find a timing belt the correct length to make it work… Now he has a D16Y8, with a toggle switch for the VTEC… lol