A blast from the past

There are too many unknowns here to guess.
Who’s your provider is the biggest one. Satellite? Cable? $10 digital antenna?
How are you hooked up? Are your DVD player, your VCR, and your TV all daisy-chained? Are they all connected to different inputs?
Are all your TV’s hooked up to different daisy chains?

Bing
I also noticed the excess of 1957 fords. They are one of my favorite body styles. For some reason I am not all that fond of the Fairlane with the bigger fins. I prefer the 2 door sedan with the snubby fins.

@sgtrock21-- There were two different series of the 1957 Fords, the Custom series and the Fairlane series and within each series there were two different trim lines. The Custom series and the Fairlane series were on different wheelbases and, except for the front clips, the bodies were different. I think that the same engine and transmission combinations were available in either series. The 1958 Fords came in this configuration as well. However, in 1959, all the Fords were on the same wheelbase.

Huh, we had a 57 Fairlane and I never knew the bodies were different. Interesting.

As far as the TV goes, never mind, too complicated. Charter is the service but some are self-contained DVD players and a couple are hooked to players in the normal fashion. None of them go through the player though for the player to select the station if thats what you mean. Just like at the hotels, sometime I’ll get around to making up a chart for each one.

Then, there were actually 3 different body series for the '57 Ford, as the folding hardtop models shared only the front clip with other models. Due to the different rear proportions, the doors, rear fenders, deck lid, and roof (obviously) were unique to the folding hardtop models.

I was one of the few in my unit in Nam who didn’t smoke. Never liked it. And hate it now. Both my parents smoked…and both died of smoking related illnesses.

And just last week - The actor who played the Marlboro Man in the Marlboro commercials died from a lung disease caused from years of smoking.

Those were the good old days when a man could be a man without fear of being politically incorrec

I don’t see it as being politically correct. Smoking is by far one of the deadliest habits one can do. I’m so glad I can now go to a restaurant and not having to smell smoke. I can’t tell you how many times I had to change offices at work in the 70’s and 80’s because someone was smoking next to me.

"The Day The Earth Stood Still"

The original I hope…NOT the remake. The remake sucked.

I have the original.
I agree, the only value remakes have is to prove a total lack of imagination in Hollywood. They’ve tried to remake just about everything now, and I can’t think of one that didn’t suck.

The remake of “The day the earth stood still” they changed the whole premise of the movie. The special effects were good.

The “geniuses” in Hollywood that remade the movie must have thought it was the special effects that made the movie great. :slight_smile:

^
It’s not very much different with Broadway shows over the past 20 years or so.
Instead of great acting and great scripts, the “geniuses” who produce the shows now “treat” us to spectacles like falling chandeliers and other mechanical gimmicks on stage, with the intention of making the audience gasp. That is one of the reasons why I stopped attending Broadway shows quite a few years ago.

The "geniuses" in Hollywood that remade the movie must have thought it was the special effects that made the movie great. :-)

EXACTLY…Since the special effects were minimal in the original. The whole movie was the story line. To remake the movie today…I think they’d have to change the part where the Mom allows a complete stranger to babysit her 10yo son for the day. That wouldn’t fly today. But I think the movie could be updated and keep the same story line. But it really doesn’t need to be. I still watch it every now and then when it comes on A&E. Great movie. One of my all-time favorites.

@MikeInNH

There have been several Marlboro Men over the years

And several of them have already died from smoking related illnesses . . .

I’m not judging, by the way

@VDCdriver, I saw The 39 Steps on Broadway between Christmas and New Years in 2010. The Hitchcock thriller was adapted from the big screen to the small stage, and that required acting skills. The troup was excellent, especially the extras.

@jtsanders–Luckily, there are still some shows (usually produced in the smaller theaters and/or Off-Broadway) that rely on good scripts and excellent acting. Unfortunately, the highly-publicized shows that draw the biggest crowds now rely (in all too many cases) on mechanical gimmicks to “wow” their audiences.

@db4690–You are correct about the deaths of multiple “Marlboro Men”.
This provides some details:

There have been several Marlboro Men over the years

And several of them have already died from smoking related illnesses . . .

I guess this is the Latest Marlboro man to die of smoking related illnesses. He just died on Jan 27th 2014.