A blast from the past

And then. of course, there was Dean Martin.
Those were the good old days when a man could be a man without fear of being politically incorrect. I miss the old days.

“And then. of course, there was Dean Martin.”

I bet that wasn’t iced tea in his high ball glass. Alcohol was quite acceptable at that time too.

^
Supposedly, the stories about his drinking were very much exaggerated, but…
Who knows?

asemaster
We must be Brothers from a different Mother. I have smoked Pall Mall non filters for about 30 years. I have the same Problem with filters. I only have to smoke a few before I start coughing and develop a sore throat. Other advantages are never accidentally lighting a filter (YUCK) and when someone wants bum a smoke 9 times out of 10 they end up saying “no thanks”.

@sgtrock21, funny how that works, huh? Having the filter there makes the cigarette taste just awful and makes you cough. I like to smoke my tobacco just as nature intended, without emissions controls. I’m not a heavy smoker though, maybe 3-4 a day now. It’s too expensive here to smoke a pack a day. I also enjoy a nice cigar now and then when I have the time.

I think that drinking was a big part of the Rat Pack lifestyle that Deano, Frank, Sammy, Cesar and several others lived. I think that Martin played on the lush image; not surprising for a steelworker.

“I think that drinking was a big part of the Rat Pack lifestyle that Deano, Frank, Sammy, Cesar and several others lived. I think that Martin played on the lush image; not surprising for a steelworker.”

Let’s not forget Foster Brooks.

@asemaster
I experimented with rolling my own when prices skyrocketed but even using good quality tobacco could not duplicate the Pall Malls. It didn’t take long to levy insane taxes on bulk tobacco and rolling papers so it became a mute point. My State has no sales tax but really loves their sin taxes. I smoke an average of 6 Pall Malls per day so I don’t feel to bad about spending $7.29 per pack. Wait a minute. I do feel bad. When I was a teenager they were $.25 and regular gasoline was $.25 per gallon!

Heh heh. When Winstons got to $3 a carton I said I was going to quit due to the expense. Now after a repub gov added $10 and a dem gov added another $15, even the cheapest is $68 a carton. Sheesh. (psst, the arguement that smokers cost more in medical bills is bunk. They are actually cheaper because they die sooner and quicker than non-smokers that just linger on with procedure after procedure. Its just an excuse to collect more money and regulate behavior. )

@Bing
It’s easy to quit. I have done it a couple of dozen times!!! I have a plan to save money. Anyone on public assistance needs to be tested every 30 days for illegal drugs, tobacco, and alcohol use. Positive equals no assistance. Also no voting rights while on public assistance. I don’t want to deny assistance to innocent children. Find a way to accomplish that. Maybe through the public school system. Just think about it. Unfortunately everything controlled by our government can be corrupted.

It’s funny how easily these threads become political. Funny and unfortunate. I was enjoying my walk down memory lane.

^
Yes, it is unfortunate.
Here, I thought that I was merely giving some of the older members of the forum an opportunity to talk about cars and patterns of life in the '50s & '60s. Little did I know that I was creating a politically-connected thread.

Steering it back to the past, circa 1970, and creating a little levity in the process. No idea who the owner of the car is… :slight_smile:

1968 Roadrunner 2 photo Roadrunner2.jpg

“I was enjoying my walk down memory lane”.
I am ready to get back on memory lane.
I think some cars are more photogenic than other cars, but I am not sure why. For example, I love the old movies from the late 1940s and early 1950s where the action takes place in New York City and the Desoto cabs from the Sky View cab company are used. I liked seeing Lois Lane in the old “Super Man” shows in her 1951 Rambler convertible. However, I didn’t quite think that the 1951 Chrysler that Clark Kent drove in some of the episodes looked very good. Also, the Nash squad cars, whether the fastback 1951 models or the Pinin Farina styled 1952 models photographed very well as police cars. I thought that the black 1951 Ford sedan used on “The Line Up” fit the street scenes in San Francisco much better than the finned 1957 Dodge sedan used in the later episodes in the series. I also liked seeing Kojac barrel along in the 1973 Buick Century, although he always had the driver’s side window rolled down no matter what the weather. I also thought that the Lincoln Continental Mark series that Frank Canon drove looked good and was probably the only car he would fit in. A Lincoln Town Car just wouldn’t have made it for Canon.

“I liked seeing Lois Lane in the old “Super Man” shows in her 1951 Rambler convertible.”

In the county seat near me, there used to be a used car lot that was stocked exclusively with cars over 15 years old. Among the cars that I looked at over the years on that lot were a bunch of Studebakers (all too rusty to even consider), a '52 Packard (that somebody had repainted with a brush!), and the prize of prizes, a car that looked exactly like Lois Lane’s little Rambler convertible. And it seemed to be in pristine, unrestored condition!

I took a quick look at the Rambler convertible one day after work, and then I couldn’t get it out of my mind. The body was a medium to dark brown, and the soft top was beige, which was a really great color combination. And, as I said, the car looked pristine! So, a few weeks later, I went back with the thought that…maybe…just maybe…I could buy it if the price wasn’t too steep.

When I arrived at the lot, the little Rambler wasn’t there, so I just browsed around the other old cars for a while until the owner approached me. I then asked him how much money he got when he sold the Rambler, and he replied…Every time I looked at that car, I fell more & more in love with it, and decided that I couldn’t sell it. It’s sitting in my own garage at home!

I saw Maxwell Smart the other day in his red Sunbeam Tiger. Who’d have guessed. He doesn’t seem like the Sunbeam Tiger kind of guy.

I also learned the other day that the original TV Batmobile was created out of a Lincoln concept car with little modification. That bubble topped dual-cockpit was totally unmodified from the concept vehicle.

There were many more automobile brands in the 50s. On the block that I grew up on there was a Hudson, Packard, Studebaker, several Nashes/Ramblers and an REO truck. The Packard had dual air horns on the front fender.

Ok, now if you have seen the current movie “Saving Mr. Banks”, ( I have a sweet spot for Disney), I loved to see the old 50’s cars. Particularly I couldn’t believe how many 57 Fords I saw in color and in great shape. I know these were all restored and preserved cars it was fun to see and all in color.

In McAllen, an air channel has the old TV programs, such as EMERGENCY, and similar ones. We don’t buy cable or satellite because we are usually in Mexico anyway. I think it’s channel 5-2 or 5-3 digital. For those extra channels I like digital. I have an old standard 32 inch TV my SIL gave us, so we bought a converter which works well.

Maybe someone can answer this but I’ve got about 7 TVs ranging from new to older. On just about every one the channel numbers are different for the same stations. 99-8 on one TV and 15-3 on another, then can’t even get it on another one. I understand the older TV won’t be able to pick up the newer digital but why is every TV different?