99 Camry turns off while driving

I’ve got a '99 Camry 4 cylinder 5 speed manual with 155,000 miles on it. Yesterday, while driving it turned itself off. The first time, I had just pulled out of a parking lot and was accelerating moving at roughly 35 mph. It turned off instantly without any unusual noise or hesitation and within two seconds was right back on. The next time, the engine was up to temperature. I was doing about 5-10mph just as a light turned green. That time I had to restart it with the key.

Everything sounds and seems normal up until it dies. Any thoughts on where to start looking for the problem? Thanks!

Ignition switch.

The problem might be caused from a failing crankshaft position sensor.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2416592&cc=1357477

If the computer loses the signal from this sensor, the computer sees no reason to operate the fuel and ignition systems so the engine shuts off.

Tester

@rn1974

The first thing I’d do is hook up a code reader and see if there are any stored fault codes. Could be a bad crank sensor, as @Tester said

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll be sure to check those out. DB4690, wouldn’t the fault codes only be there if there was some sort of indicator such as the check engine light?

@rn1974

No . . . not every fault code requires the check engine light to illuminate

Learn something new every day. Thanks for the tips. I’ll check the fault codes first. I’ll post what I find.