98 Honda accord coupe 3.0 not starting

Fuel filter not serviceable on an Accord? That doesn’t sound right. The fuel filter is probably inside the gas tank, so it makes replacing it more difficult compared to it being on the firewall is all. There’s probably a fuel pressure test that a mechanic would do before replacing the fuel filter.

The fuel filter is probably part of the whole fuel module assembly, which includes the pump, sock, regulator, float and filter

I’m guessing that’s what they mean by not serviceable

That’s how it is on my 2005 Camry

The problem was before i.replaced the fuel pump

It is not serviceable im really sick of the criticizing on my forum im asking for help not smart alecks if u don’t wanna help please don’t respond i have talked with a mechanic that only works on hondas and it is not serviceable at all any fuel filter/pump in the gas tank has been replaced. I don’t have anyone that lives in warren mi that would come look at the car for me to tell me what is wrong

cj28, no one is criticizing you here, not sure why you think they are. Everyone is trying to help.

Just for explanation, cars are built in modules today instead of the individual components like they used to be. In the old days, if something didn’t work, lets say the starter solenoid for example, a mechanic could remove the starter and replace the solenoid and then reinstall your starter. Today, the solenoid is “not serviceable”, the whole starter module has to be replaced.

This is probably the same with your fuel pump. It is a module now with the pump, the float assembly for the gauge and the filter and they have to be replaced as a complete module. You cannot replace the filter by itself, so it is not serviceable. Your mechanic would not be able to buy just the filter and the assembly is probably welded or riveted together so even if he did get a filter, he still could not replace it with normal hand tools.

You did replace your fuel pump, but there could still be a problem with it. Sometimes new items are bad out of the box, or have defect that causes a failure soon after installation. This happens more than you would think, that is why they come with a warrantee. But also the plug could have worked loose, it happens too. It would be worth the look.

BTW, the guys that have been trying to help you will jump on anyone they think is being a troll or just being disrespectful. The moderator here will kick those types out in short order. I think you just misinterpreted someone’s intent. That happens too.

@cj28, sorry you’ve been so frustrated by this problem. I’ve been following the thread since you posted, and I think I agree with Keith that people have been nothing but sincere in their efforts to
help. We’re really lucky here that we have so many people who just really like figuring out car problems. I haven’t seen anything but their typical approach to things. If you’re looking for someone in your area, you can try the Mechanics Files link at the top of the page. That might point you toward someone our regulars can’t. Good luck, and please hang in there!

I have pulled the hose off of the fuel rail and tried to start it no fuel is comin out so.now what

Something must have gone wrong with the last fuel pump install. Maybe the wires got switched and the pump is running backwards.

I have pulled the hose off of the fuel rail and tried to start it there is fuel is comin out so.now what i changed the fuel pump again so now what am i to do. I appreciate everyones help just really irritated

I don’t understand what you are saying. You have changed the fuel pump again and fuel is coming out of the hose now? Is that right? Is it a lot of fuel with a lot of force or just a dribble?

@cj28 Thanks for the update, and it explains a few things

When cranking the engine over, the pcm apparently saw a valid from the crankshaft position sensor, and thus energized the fuel pump

That is why you saw fuel coming out of the disconnected fuel feed hose

I’m assuming that earlier, when you didn’t see fuel coming out of the disconnected, you also weren’t cranking over the engine . . .

Correct?

if nothing else, it looks like the crank sensor is working

I did try cracking it over with the hose off and the old fuel pump there was no dribble or anything now there’s a half inch of fuel in the cup when i tried to start it with another new fuel pump

It really sounds like you might be doing more harm to the car than good. By not knowing the steps or how to fix cars properly you may be installing parts incorrectly and disconnecting parts improperly et certa. I suggest as someone else did to get a service manual. I’ve been learning more about cars as well and those things are incredibly useful.

I was told to remove the fuel hose from the fuel rail with a cup under it to see if fuel was comin out i did exactly what i was told to do from someone in my forum

The fuel came out as soon as you disconnected the fuel line? If so, then the fuel pump built up pressure in the fuel rail and the line and that is a good sign, but not definitive. You never know for sure without running tests on the fuel pump and for that, you will need to take it to a mechanic and pay for the tests.

This thread has gone on so long that I really think it is time to bring in a professional with eyes on and the proper test equipment. Look for a highly recommended mechanic. You can start with the mechanic files link at the gray bar at the top of this page and check with friends and coworkers for recommendations. It may be cheaper in the long run.