98 ford ranger spits and sputers

Truck spits and sputers when it starts up…and now it does it more often

New spark plugs, new fuel pump and filter

New mass air flow.

I changed fuel octain and that help for a few weeks and back it spits…

It seems that when I put something new in the truck it runs great for a few weeks and then it starts up again…

I can not find a fuel regulator that fits the one that is on the truck now…so I have not replaced it…

HELP

Was it FoMoCo fuel pump that was installed? If not that could be the problem. Fords of this vintage are finicky when it comes to fuel pumps and spark plug wires. Aftermarket parts just don’t work.

But you might try this. The next time you go to start the engine, turn the ignition switch to the run position so the dash lights come on for two seconds and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this about a half a dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts right up with no problem, the problem is with the anti-drain back valve in that non-FoMoCo fuel pump.

Tester

Tried that no luck…it seems to be getting worse…

Before I put the new fuel pump in …it was spiting and spurting

What about after it starts up? Does it eventually get to running ok? Or does it continue to spit & sputter.

You don’t have to guess about the fuel pressure regulator. If it is leaking you can tell by just pulling the vacuum line & checking for gasoline (there shouldn’t be any). You can check its actual function with a fuel pressure gauge. Has anyone ever gotten pressure gauge on it?

I would be checking the coolant temperature sensor.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/A/5529-01105495.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=98+1998+Ford+Ranger+Fuel+Pressure+Regulator+-+Delphi+Fuel+Pressure+Regulator&utm_content=YIR&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Bin

Your truck does have a history of problems with the fuel regulator, which seems to be especially apparent at start-up. That seems consistent with your problem.

You can research specific problems such as yours online: just by stating the car, model and year and problem, you will get input, right or wrong, and sometimes expert advice.