1993 Ranger very hard start after sitting

My truck (1993 Ford Ranger 2.3L 2WD) is just as reluctant as me to get going in the morning. I’ll turn the key and it’ll crank away and do nothing. If I press down the gas while turning the key, I’ll eventually hear a sputter, then another, then another getting faster and faster until the thing finally starts, usually takes 30-45 seconds. Starts fine for the rest of the day.

Any clue what causes this or what I can do to make it happen less?

I replaced all 8 spark plugs fairly recently. I had a loose battery connection I thought might have something to do with it but I cleaned and tightened it and the problem persists. It also likes to burn oil but that’s less of a problem for me right now.

Additional info: I bought the truck secondhand but I’m fairly certain it’s had the engine replaced at some point. Also had an aftermarket exhaust installed.

The next time the truck sits, turn the ignition to on so the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition off.

Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine.

If the engine starts right up, it points to a problem with the anti drain-back valve in the fuel pump assembly.

Tester

1 Like

Will do. Thanks!

I’ll post an update in the morning.

When was the last time your gas filter was replaced?

Alright, update:
I tried turning the ignition several times and that seemed to help a little. Still had to go through the whole process but it seemed to go quicker. That was yesterday.

Today I tried again, but this time it wouldn’t start at all. On a couple tries I heard a single putt come out the back but other than that, the starter just cranks away to no avail.

Any thoughts?

I couldn’t tell you. Over a year ago, if ever. I’ve only had the truck for just under a year now.

I expect you have low fuel pressure for some reason. A fuel pressure test would confirm. You could also try spraying some starter fluid in the air intake as a test. If it starts and runs briefly, you’ve confirmed the problem is lack of fuel, consistent w/low fuel pressure. If so, probably all you need is a new fuel pump. Good idea to have the fuel filter replaced at the same time.

1 Like