97 Hyundai CV Joint

I’ve recently noticed a growling noise coming from the front driver tire when I turn the wheel slightly to the left. I jacked up the front today and there is a bit of play in the tire. The play seems to be in the joint where it meets the wheel. Is it possible to tighten that nut on the end of the wheel (to torque specs of course), or will the axle need to be replaced?

If the tire moves will holding it at the 6:00 and 12:00 oclock positions, it means that wheel bearing is worn.

Tester

Is the wheel bearing replaceable, or is it part of the CV joint? Or, is it a sealed unit separate from the axle? (I’ve only replaced front wheel bearings on RWD vehicles… the kind with the bearing and race that are removable from the hub)

See if this helps. http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c15280073c51

Tester

Thanks. I called a local parts store. Seems the wheel bearing and axle are separate. The bearing is not a sealed unit, but rather a bearing and a race. I thought most FWD cars had sealed units.