96 toyota tranny shot sounds like the chain inside tranny broke

does anyone know if I can swap a 98 Toyota Camry auto tranny to a 96 Camry with the same size engine? Sometimes the axles are different (splines) so if the axles are changed also then the tranny will work. But the axles and tranny all have to be switched?
Driving down the road at about 65 mph there was a clunk, a binding like brake stuck thing going on, and then the tranny would not move the car. It seems as though the chain, if there is a chain in the tranny, broke. Someone told me it is the gears (planetary) on the right hand side of the transmission that drives the axle. No one including me has gone under it to look. But I do have access to that 98 tranny and axles.

Good luck with that. No fwd trans swap is easy. Do u have to drop subframe? At least u got a good amount of use out of car. A 96 that’s still rolling is good.

The tranny from the 98 Camry will work in your 96 Camry.

Tester

@Tester the 96 and 98 are two different body styles. I’m assuming the transmission was carried over from the old model to the new?

I just checked with a salvage yard and they tell me they can not be switched?

The problem might be a CV joint failure. Get under there and look.

The yard is saying the 98 trans will not work in the 96 car. They have their opinion. Folks here have their opinion.

The yard used the hollander exchange when they told me it would not work. I had to take the tires off the front the other day and I notice two things. No park meaning it does not hold which I have never experienced before in a situation like this. and you can take the axle and spin it and hear a clatter in the tranny. Even with the car off the ground the axles will not turn with the car running in gear.

Those Hollander interchange manuals are fairly accurate. I would consider it risky to attempt the swap.

It would be interesting to find out what broke on this transmission. If you get the transmission out remove the rear cover; the left hand side bearing; and the final drive/differential unit. The break has to be after the counter driven gear (as that has the parking gear attached) and the axles. Therefore, look for a flail pinion gear (indicating a broken counter shaft), stripped pinion gear, stripped final drive gear, or broken differential side gear or pinion gears (unlikely).

Anyway let us know what you find and if the 98 transmission fit and operated.

I doubt very much that the OP will tear down the tranny.

I have not decided whether or not to repair the vehicle. This same type thing happened on a 94 Corola probably 10 years or more ago. People have suggested the differential. On the other one i just replaced the tranny.

Researcher, we figure it is the final drive but again am not sure util i get it apart. Currently working on putting my house back together after including new flooring and sheetrocking. Car can wait.

FRom what you say, you must have broken the chain inside the tranny, ha, ha .

Check – I will keep an eye open for your post to rise to the top. Good luck with your labors.

parked the toyota for now… the house is nearly done, just finishing work for the most part but need to make some major replacements with hot water tank, furnace, and washer/dryer