95 saturn sc1 blowing oil out of place where you put oil in

I HAVE A 95 SATURN SC1, 4 CYL, 5 SPD, IT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR ABOUT 9 MONTHS, I HAD TO JUMP START IT AND WHEN I GOT TO GAS STATION, I WENT TO PUT A QUART OF OIL IN IT AND HOT AIR BLOWING OUT OF OIL HOLE BLEW SOME THE OIL BACK OUT.

WHAT’S UP WITH THAT? (ENGINE WAS RUNNING, WAS THAT THE PROBLEM?)

If the engine was running when you took the cap off you probably don’dt have a problem. The camshaft and vales are below that cam and will do this. Normal operating proceedure, turn engine off to add oil.

Hopefully your problem is just a matter of a stuck PCV valve. It’s a little cylindrical doo-dad, mounted in the valve cover, connected to a vacuum hose. Just go to the parts store and ask for a PCV valve for your car. A $4.00 fix.

For what it’s worth, the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system is used to manage the gasses that are pushed past the piston rings and in to the crank case during combustion. The gasses are drawn up through the valve cover and PCV valve, and back in to the engine’s air intake. If the PCV valve gets stuck closed (which can happen, they do collect quite a bit of oil), pressure under the valve cover will be positive and you can get the symptom you described.

On the other hand, your PCV valve may be fine and you might have very bad blow-by from a stuck/broken ring, or just a motor with a lot of wear. Obviously, it’s good to go with the $4.00 fix first of all, and if that doesn’t do it, start investigating the less-pleasant possibilities. Fingers crossed for ya’.