95 Ford Probe idling problem

Hello all,

My 95 Ford Probe is idling at around 450 RPMs and I’m not sure what the problem is. I have tried replacing the fuel filter already to see if that would help at all and, it didn’t After doing some research online I have seen that it could possibly be an Air-Flow sensor. Does anyone else have any ideas?

The low idle might be caused from a dirty/defective Idle Air Control valve.

You can try removing the IAC valve and clean it and the idle air bleed hole on the throttle body with throttle body cleaner to see if that helps. If this shows no improvement try rapping on the IAC valve with the handle of a screwdriver while the engine is idling. If doing this causes the idle speed to change the IAC valve is most likely defective.

Tester

Thank you very much for your reply! Do you have any guidance on where I can locate this valve? I’m sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I can’t find much information online about where this actually is.

Thanks again!

The IAC valve is mounted on the throttle body. It’ll look something like this. http://p71interceptor.com/repairs/iac/

Tester

Well, on the 95 Pobe ,it’s not that simple unfortunately.
Yes the IAC valve is at the throttle body but it’s a more complicated assembly than these simpler newer ones.
either the 2.0 4cyl or the 2.5 6cyl ( I’ve been waiting for the penguin to divulge such pertinent info. ) the solenoid is part of a chambered/ducted lower body shell of the throttle body.

Well I just cleaned the valve following this guide here:
http://www.mx6db.co.uk/?loc=4&id=6&view=guide

However the problem still persists. The engine is also running pretty hot with the gauge almost in the red just at idle. The coolant and radiator are all filled and I am running out of ideas. I just bought this car and only drove it 100 miles, I’m afraid I may just be out of luck. It only has 33k miles so I had hope when I bought it that it wouldn’t have many problems.

To add, it’s a 4 cylinder Ken, sorry I missed your post before.

I hope no one minds if I bump this topic but, I just wanted to give the solution in case anyone needed it. The engine was misfiring and, turns out I blew a head gasket. A very expensive lesson learned, I will always look at my gauges now.