95 Ford Explorer dies

I’ve got a 95 Ford Explorer XLT, V6. Once in a blue moon, when I crank it, the darn thing won’t stay started. I have to constantly give it the gas, even when I’m braking. But after a couple of minutes, it clears up. Any thoughts?

IAC (Idle air control) valve). Classic symptoms are that just a little throttle makes the problem go away. You can try to clean it and put it back on. A new one will probably cost between 50 and 100 bucks and is probably easy to install.

I am assuming you have no CEL.

The problem might be caused from a faulty Idle Air Control motor. This component is what controls the engine idle speed under all conditions. These IAC motors on Fords have a history of causing all sorts of ide problems. And because of the year of the vehicle, I wouldn’t mess with it. Just replace it.

Tester

Forgive my ignorance. What is CEL?

check engine light

Correct, no check engine light comes on. Looked up the IAC at AutoZone website. Looks easy to replace. You know anything about the overhead compass? Not working anymore. Thanks

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c1528018ee43 Testing and replacing the idle air control valve (iac).

Thanks