'92 Transport SE starting problems

For a while, in my driveway or when shopping etc., sometimes the van would “crank” but wouldn’t actually start, I’d let it sit a while and then it would start. I took it to my repair guys, left it for two weeks and – in the bay or parked outside – the van would start every time. I brought it home and got worse to the point that it wouldn’t start for days. Using my regular keys, a single key, sunny day, rainy day, morning, night – it will crank but not actually start. I took it to the shop, left it two weeks again and – indoors or out – it starts every time. They checked plugs, hosed it down, pulled out this and that, read the computer, nada thing. They don’t want to just change the fuel filter because they say it will cost $300 and don’t want to waste my money.

$300 for a fuel filter? I’m in the wrong business.

Has anyone checked to see if you are getting spark when it is not starting?  Has anyone tried spraying some starting fluid in the intake to see what happens when it is not otherwise starting?  

It needs spark, fuel and compression.  Usually compression does not come and go, so work on the other two.

I apologize – I should have written fuel PUMP. [sigh, dopeslap]

$300 for a fuel filter? – that was me above, I meant to say fuel pump for $300

Has anyone checked to see if you are getting spark when it is not starting? Has anyone tried spraying some starting fluid in the intake to see what happens when it is not otherwise starting? – it always starts at the car repair shop so they can’t check anything and I’m not car savvy enough to know what I’m doing to do the above,