92 Honda Accord - Gear Slip and D4 Light Out

I have a 92 Honda Accord LX with automatic transmission. Recently while driving the car, I noticed the transmission to occasionally ?buck? or slip, during which, there is noticeable and sudden deceleration if I release my foot from the gas pedal. While this occurs, the D4 light on the dashboard blinks off. When I press on the gas pedal thereafter, I can often resume driving the car without the problem occurring again. At this point the D4 light reappears, and the car drives normally. Only rarely has this activity occurred more than once during a trip.

I have checked the solenoids, and they are clean, and I can hear them click when I shift the car from park to drive and back. I suspect the problem is electrical since this problem started and occurred during a period of rain, and it has not seemed to occur over the past two days when it has been dry.

I would appreciate any thoughts on identifying and correcting the problem. Thank you!

Check the wording in your Owner’s Manual because if I recall correctly from the '92 Accord that I owned, the manual says something to the effect of “if the D4 indicator light blinks, that indicates an electronic fault in the transmission”.

Failure to repair an electronic fault in the transmission on a timely basis can result in mechanical repair of the transmission, and that can be very costly. I would strongly suggest that you take the car to an independent transmission shop (NOT AAMCO, or Lee Myles, or Cottman, or any other chain) for diagnosis.

Ask friends, co-workers, and relatives for recommendations regarding independent shops that have been in business for at least 3 years.

Thank you! Does anybody else have an idea on the problem with my car?

When the car bucks and the automatic transmission seems to slip, does the engine rpm, just as suddenly, go up considerably?