91 Honda Civic DX

So I’m a novice when it comes to auto repair but I like to fix things. So… here it goes. A friend gave me their 91 civic that has been sitting in their driveway since 2006. They wanted it out of their driveway & I thought it be a good opportunity to learn a bit about fixing cars, so I took it.

It has a manual transmission, Dual Point PGM-FI, & 120,700 miles.

I have charged the battery which is about 1 to 1 1/2 years old. I removed the spark plugs, squirted some oil in each and hand cranked it to lubricate what i could before trying to start the car. That went pretty good so i re-installed the plugs, put some gas, but the car did not start. So after a few attempts, I removed the cover that has DUAL POINT PGM-FI printed on it and poured some gas in the intake & the car started right up. But as soon as the gas ran out the car died so poured more gas @ that point & it started again but died again. So it seems that the gas is not getting to the engine for some reason. I put about 2 gals of gas in at the start and noticed that the fuel gauge did not move & it is still on empty. I think its a good sign that it started & sounded pretty good but now I have to figure out how to keep it going.

Have I started off the right way?
What can I do to figure out why the gas is not getting to the fuel injectors?
What steps should I take to troubleshoot the fuel system?
Should I have flushed the fuel system first?
If so, how do you flush the fuel system?

Thanks for any advice!!!

A vehicle that has sat idle for five years probably has gasoline in the gas tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, and fuel injectors that has turned to varnish. The next step would be to disassemble the entire fuel system, gas tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, and injectors to either clean or replace these components.

Tester

Start with the basics…

Replace the filter first.

Then see if the fuel pump is actually working.

You need to supply that engine with FRESH FUEL…Remove whats in the tank prior to adding more fuel. YOu can pull the pressure valve on the rail and pump out the tank…You def have bad fuel…and you already proved it. Now get the system full of fresh fuel… meaning the tank…the lines…the filter…all need new fresh fuel.

Let me know if you want me to walk you thru how…

Blackbird

where is the filter located?
Yes let me know how to flush the system & get system full of fresh fuel.
can this be done with out tear apart the whole system?

thanks

Yes it can… You need to find where your fuel line feeds that assy with PGM-FI on it… Pull the line…and then you need to jumper the fuel pump relay under your hood…but first see if the fuel pump will run constant when you turn the key on to “Run”…some pumps will run…others will pump up and then stop…they will run when they get a tach signal…

SO pull your fuel line…get another hose or something to let the tank drain into…and try to run your fuel pump till the tank is empty…if it doesnt run for you…you need to jumper pins 87 and 30 at your fuel pump relay…you pull the relay…and jumper the two poles in the fuse box to supply the fuel pump with constant 12V… Then drain the tank… Then fill up with new fuel…run the pump till the new fuel comes out and then hook everything back up… Prime it like you did before…and she will run for you… I’d replace the fuel filter if it is an external one…probably is…mite be under your car…USUALLY they are under your hood… Look like a black can with hoses going to it fastened with banjo bolts to the filter itself…

I’d probably just pull the feed line to the filter…the filter may be on your firewall…or on your engine…I can look it up for you… If you go to Autozone DOT COM…the repair manual is there for you to view…FOR FREE…I STRONGLY suggest you pull that up and take a looksie…

Blackbird

Why doesn’t the fuel gauge mark the fuel level?

I have read that the main relay solder points go dry due to the heat causing bad connections thus not allowing the car to start. could that be a possibility.

YA…your fuel filter is on the pass side under your hood…mounted on the firewall most likely…looks like a black can with two hoses running to it…

Go to the auto zone website…you will see a nice diagram of it… trying to post it here but cant…

Just follow one of the thick black hoses that go to that PGM-FI assy that you poured fuel into…follow the line to the pass side firewall…theres your filter…

ok there is a black can with braided hose connected to it. autozone says to pinch one of those hoses and relieve the pressure. how do u relieve the pressure from the system?

I don’t think you have to worry about relieving the fuel pressure. The fuel pump and the rest of the fuel system is probably gummed up with varnish where the fuel pump doesn’t run and the fuel system is so plugged up with varnish that even if the fuel pump ran the fuel wouldn’t reach the fuel filter/injectors.

Tester

I dont think your system is that dire…yet…at least not till we prove that out…

Dont worry about the pressure…when you crack one of the bolts loose it will relieve itself… Usually there is a nipple to relieve pressure…but like I said you can loosen one of the bolts and it will relieve itself…dont worry it wont flood you out…it will leak out a few ounces then stop… The hose you want is the one coming form under the car…not the one going to your fuel injectors… The line from underneath the car is coming from the tank…

ok so is the fuel pump relay the one that is tuck way up the left side of the fuse box under the steering column?
or am I going to jump it from the fuse box?

if it is then i have to take apart the front and side panel from under the steering wheel just to get to that relay. right? and should i check the relay for bad soldering as i read that could be a cause of no fuel delivery?

Not sure about all that… The FPR is usually in the fuse box under the hood…No?

ok thanks i will let u know if i get it started and then we can move on to the next issue whatever it maybe.

if i get the fuel system going, what should i do next?

You will…just get the new fuel…to pump out of the feed line to the filter…Replace the filter…and then start her up… You should be fine…

I think your issue will be HOW to get the fuel pump to run constant…now I could be wrong and you might be able to just turn the key to the run position and she may run till the tank is dry…Now if its the way I think it is…You need to jumper pins 87 and 30 at the FPR…to make her run the tank empty…

HELL…DID you look on the tank for a drain bolt? They do exists sometimes…My Prelude had one …back in 89’ LOL…

You are basically going to drain the tank…fill with new fuel…then pump that fuel up to and thru your NEW filter…and then go from there… You can prime her up by pouring some fresh fuel into the intake just like before… and with the lines hooked up…a new filter…and fresh fuel…I bet she runs just fine…

Well…I hope you aren’t covered in fuel and lighting a cigarette somewhere…What say you?

I think you have received a bunch of good suggestions here. I have a few more. Did you check for good spark? I know you said that it ran for a bit when you poured gas in . . . but how is the spark? What color? Easy enough to check, crank it with a plug pulled watching the tip of the plug. I assume that you can hear the fuel pump running, right? OK. So far as fuel . . . I would try to siphon all (or as much as you can) from the tank. A siphon is cheap and you’ll be surprised at what comes out of the tank bottom. After that I would pour in a bottle of Techron and two gallons of gas and crank it until you’ve flooded it, to get the Techron through the fuel system. Then wait for it to do it’s magic and try to start it an hour or so later. Pull and clean and re-gap the plug while you’re waiting. Good luck! Let us know how it works out. Rocketman

I think he’s on fire somewhere…