91 Honda Accord - Transmission S Light flashing

My trusty 91 Honda Accord, automatic, 160k miles, has a flashing S light which I understand means that there is something wrong with the transmission. Simultaneously, the car is a little slower on the uphills than it was before. I have had the car for 3 years and have never done much with the transmission. I have no idea what the previous owner had done to the trasmission.

QUESTION #1: how many miles can I drive this thing before it stalls on me. I think I plan to drive it into the ground.

QUESTION #2: does this light mean that I need to get a new transmission?

1. Nobody can predict this unless you have a qualified transmission technician examine it.

2. Nobody can predict this unless you have a qualified transmission technician examine it.

As you already know, the flashing light indicates a problem (most likely in the electronic controls of the transmission), and as you probably also know, this problem will not correct itself. In fact, an electronic fault will eventually lead to a mechanical problem with the transmission, and that = $$$.

Deferred diagnosis, maintenance and repair is inevitably more expensive than when performed on a timely basis. If you expect to continue to drive this car for the long term and to put mimimal money into its maintenance, you need to take it in for diagnosis sooner, rather than later.

And, if you want to get an accurate diagnosis and minimal repair costs, you should definitely AVOID Lee Myles, Cottman, AAMCO, and any other chain operation. Seek out recommendations for an independently operated transmission shop that has been in business for more than 3 or 4 years, and take your car in a.s.a.p. if you want to minimize expenses.