9 models that will depart in 2020

IMO the high cost is mostly nonrecurring costs associated with engineering and factory startup. When those are paid off, the cost of a electric vehicle will be less than a hybrid. I don’t think the demise of the Prius in its current form will come for about a decade, and that is about how long it will take to pay off nonrecurring costs.

1 Like

Exactly!
An SUV or Crossover can do everything that a sedan can do, but sedans can’t do everything that the SUVs or Crossovers can do.

Hardly a week goes by without seeing someone at Lowe’s, or Best Buy, or Costco trying–without success–to fit a kitchen cabinet or a large screen TV into the trunk of a sedan. Apparently these folks never thought to take some measurements before buying those items.

I saw one, and it wasn’t bad looking, but…
The idea of buying a car that was designed by one manufacturer (Opel), which then had its design altered by another manufacturer (PSA), and then had its assembly shifted from Germany to Poland, just doesn’t appeal to me. It seems like a red-headed stepchild.

I remember years ago I bought a new 49" LED TV at HH Gregg, they asked me if I wanted them to deliver (at an additional cost of course…) I said no. They asked me what kind of car I drove (an 01 Solara). They informed me that if it broke during transit I would be responsible, etc. Much to their surprise, I put down the convertible top and it fit nicely into the back seat sticking up with no wiggle room. Drove home gently over the back roads and got it home without a scratch on the box

1 Like

Yes, convertibles do have an advantage over sedans in that respect.

2 Likes

The other day at the grocery store saw a couple people trying to fit a large box into the back of an SUV. Whatever way they tried it wouldn’t fit. It actually looked empty to me but they didn’t seem to want to break it down. When I came out again the guy was still standing there with a bewildered look on this face and the hatch open and the box on the ground. Of course a little trailer and a little car can haul all kinds of stuff like big boxes, TVs, tree limbs, and even furniture and appliances. Which is more practical? I’ve moved my whole household belongings twice with the same trailer and a car. Easy on easy off with ramps.

Bing , you are correct . A small utility trailer will move a lot of stuff . Unfortunately the crummy Home Owners Association will let me park my car in the drive but not a trailer.

There’s a reason I’ll never live in an HOA…

1 Like

Plus, try finding a modern “little” car that’s rated to tow a trailer. The Accord and Malibu are both pretty large vehicles, and they’re only rated to 1,000lbs (and only for one motor on the Accord). I think there’s a Volvo car that’s rated to tow 3,000 or so, but that’s not exactly small either.

Our CUV (MKX) meets 99% of our bulky item hauling needs, any bigger and I’d want it delivered anyway.

Yeah, there are subdivisions around us that do not allow pickups to be parked in the drive, and lawns must be mowed M-F 9 to 5.

My G6 and Acura will both take 1500# which is really all I need anymore. I don’t haul 2000# of sand and gravel anymore. But that’s why I’m kind of stuck with what to buy. The new small cars don’t like any towing even though it’s the same essential car but with a 4 cyl. engine. I’ve watched people try to load and unload a pick up with tree limbs, lawn mower etc., and it really is much harder than a low trailer. Now try to get furniture or a freezer up in the back of a pick up. Yeah but sure, the big three know what they are doing, and it’s based on customer response. Do I look stupid?

[quote Do I look stupid

If I ask my wife that question her response don’y ask if you don’ want to know.

Yeah I know one of the guys here will want to answer that post haste but it was really intended for GM and Ford to answer. They must think we’re all morons with their marketing.

1 Like

yes I know what you meant & agree with you I know what you mean about the moron’s with they’re marketing schemes they are the moron’s not us I meant nothing against you.

The irony is… amazing…
:laughing:

1 Like

Don’t make me drag out the spelling nazi memes. I need to stay out of trouble.

Don’t be a snob.

I’m not a snob, but I expect that adults should be able to communicate with an adult-level of competence. And, using the term “Nazi” in regard to grammar issues only serves to trivialize the horrors perpetrated by the Nazis. Please don’t trivialize mass murders and other crimes against humanity.

Apparently, even “Renegade” appreciated my comment, based on his “like” of it.
:grinning:

2 Likes

I also am looking for a 3500lb capacity towing vehicle. Colorada and Frontier come up fine but anything but a truck for towing is a no hitter so far.

Did you understand what he was saying? If the answer is yes, picking on him for not spelling correctly is boorish.

1 Like

I can understand the time limits for mowing lawns, that seems reasonable. But I have no idea why anyone would care if a pickup truck was parked in the owner’s driveway. Presuming cars can be parked in the driveway, no pickups in sight but cars ok? Doesn’t make any sense.