9 models that will depart in 2020

Did you not see the Monday thru Friday nonsense . Or the 9 to 5 , that means a working couple will have to pay a lawn service . Many people only have the weekend for lawn chores.
Forget reasonable .

1 Like

Yep, when I worked it was generally 7-6 at the earliest. Eat and then cut the grass maybe starting 7:30 or 8:00. I would have had to take time off to cut the grass. We have quiet hours after 10 but that’s about it and if I shut the garage door I can still work. Yeah no way would I want an HOA.

When I lived in Florida year’s ago I had a friend who worked at a used car lot he showed me a trade they took in it I don’t remember what it was other than an lt was a old raged out beater that was chopped down to make it into a pick up the guy that traded it said he lived in a HOA neighborhood were they could not have a PU but since it was a car it was OK I knew the neighborhood & it was very upscale go figure.

Like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mustero+mustang&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=fHWVBayasAT07M%3A%2CpXqR7AEsokuW8M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSua_5FsRVsCiZF6f9mb6I2zYdOyg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwinoISFocPmAhXV3J4KHZAICgsQ9QEwAHoECAYQBA#imgrc=fHWVBayasAT07M:

Same principle but not near as nice he took a saw & cut the top right behind the front seat & put a piece of plywood for the back of the cab with a cut out for the back window & used a piece of plastic for the window & lined what was passed to be the bed with plywood slapped a brush paint on & called it done. In the same neighborhood the only way you could have a boat or small trailer was in the backyard with a privacy fence so it could not be seen from the street one of the house’s did not have enough room on the side’s to drive to the back so they took out the back of the garage & put in garage door & made it a drive thru

Some well-used pickup trucks can look pretty beat up. Others look pristine. I had a friend who’s pickup truck was covered in mud nearly all the time. But that can apply to cars too. Seems the upscale neighbhood rule – if there is one – is that vehicles, either cars, suvs, or pickups, parked within sight of the public right of way should be well maintained & presentable. Me, I have too many other things to spend my att’n on, no time to worry about neighbor’s landscape architecture.

That is why I like where I live in the wood’s no one can see what I do unless they are at my house.

Back to the point, why would somebody in their right mind buy a Regal or Impala at $30,000 when they could buy a better Accord or Sonata at much, much less?

Lower price, lower cost to own, better resale value and on the rare occasions I need to move a load of mulch or a big screen I can rent a U Haul.

This reminds me of back in the "70’s when the Detroit Big 3 surrendered the Compact market to the imports because they were too lazy and cheap to make the investment to be competitive and it’s just sickening.
If Honda, Toyota and Nissan can build cars here and make a profit, there’s absolutely no reason the Big 3 can’t do the same and when the appetite for overpriced luxury SUV’s and luxury Pickups eventually burns out, they’re going to find themselves is the same situation as back in the 70’s.

Tariffs on imports and running to the Government for bailouts.

There’s absolutely no reason why the Big 3 can’t make a world class quality sedan at a competituve price and if they don’t decide to do so, well so long.

Tom Silva (This Old House general contractor) always says about his work: “the money is in the details”. I think the same applies to vehicle design. If the manufacture doesn’t pay attention to the details, adopts the attitude “don’t sweat the small stuff”, the result will always be they’ll fall behind the companies that do sweat the small stuff.

Well gee in 1960 Ford had the compact Falcon and then later the Fairlane plus the full sized Fords, 2 dr, 4 dr, station wagon, and even the Ranchero. Seems like they had a full line. And GM had the compact Corvair, three grades of full sized same as Ford and all the other models plus the El Cameno. Not to mention Buick and the Skylark and Riviera in additon to the full line up, plus Pontiac and Olds. And of course the whole Ford Mercury line same way. I just don’t remember enough of Plymouth and DeSoto and Chrysler, etc. But all the imports had was a small car. So who really was spending money on car models?? That’s all I want to see now is a full line up.

I’m just saying in the old days you’d go down to the Ford/Merc dealer when the new models came in and could find what you wanted. Small car, Thunderbird, wagon, convertible, three trim lines of Fords, and if you wanted more, there was Mercury with 2 or 3 different trims. Then you could always go to Lincoln if Mercury wasn’t enough. Now the choice is 5 or 6 different sized SUVs or a truck, with a few other odd balls thrown in. Of course they were smart enough to keep Mustang. I just think it is a long term big big mistake. Cars used to be exciting and people bought. If they aren’t exciting you won’t buy until you have to.

1 Like

They’re not all bad, but the problem is that even the “best” ones like Disney’s planned community “Celebration” can be sold to a private equity fund which steals all the equity from the communal properties, neglects exterior maintenance until rot and termites destroy the buildings, and then secretly takes out millions of dollars in loans against the community for even more of a cash grab which it then tells the homeowners to pay off for them.

By that standard, just being told I couldn’t mow the lawn on Saturday doesn’t sound so bad. :wink:

I didn’t know they sold it. We visited there a number of times and I’m trying to remember the movie that it reminded me of. Stepford Wives, or Children of the Corn, or something like that. Seemed like they weren’t real people in real houses but hypnotized or robots. I’m being a little cruel but I did get a different vibe from the place. A little too programmed for me but hey they had good ice cream.

They believe (right or wrong) that those pickup trucks lower their property values. In reality, it’s just a way to make it harder for working class people to move into the neighborhood.

1 Like

+1
A lot of the regulations imposed by HOAs are essentially the work of local busybodies who are attempting to control many aspects of the lives of the other residents.

3 Likes

Not around here. HOA’s homes have better resale value. People who live there like the concept.

I’ve seen HOA’s that are not too unreasonable. Some are ludicrous. But some make sense. You’ll actually find that many HOA’s rules have made it into towns laws.

No putting appliances in the yard.
No parking of business trucks on the street.
No overgrowth.

We looked at buying a winter home in Hilton Head. They are probably the worse. Everyone has to have the EXACT SAME MAIL BOX.

My mother lives in an HOA community with a typical HOA. That means they will rigorously enforce their stupid rules if you come to them and ask permission to do something, but if you just do it they don’t say a word. She followed the rules and asked for a variance to install a 4 foot fence for her dog - 3’ is the HOA limit. They gave her no end of crap and made her go around to all of her neighbors and get them to sign a letter saying they were OK with it. Meanwhile, one of those neighbors put up an 8 foot privacy fence without asking, and it’s still there 20 years later.

But HOAs can be a good thing if they’re run right. Another of her neighbors is into old cars. Not nice, classic cars, but old junkers that haven’t run since the Reagan administration and which are now in various stages of decomposition amongst the weeds on his property - and understand that this neighborhood is full of million-dollar houses, but it’s also full of “this is my property and I can do whatever I want with it” attitudes.

To an extent I sympathize with that viewpoint, but on the other hand, when what you do with your property negatively impacts mine by bringing the property values down or just forcing me to live next door to a junk yard, we have a problem, and that’s the kind of problem a good HOA can solve. The trouble starts when you get the little power-hungry martinets on the boards and they start running roughshod over the neighborhood, but that can be alleviated by other people stepping up to run for the board.

2 Likes

My mother lived in a neighborhood that didn’t have an HOA, but it did have local rules about what color you’re supposed to paint your townhouse, what kind of siding you’re allowed to use, etc. Her townhouse was on the far end of a cul-de-sac, the last of four adjoined townhouses with the open side facing away from all the other houses. In order to see the open side of the house, you’d have to either trespass or be in the neighboring apartment complex.

Rather than ask for permission, we decided to put vinyl siding on that side of the house. We put all the seams facing the same way, where someone looking from the front yard wouldn’t see them. Nobody ever mentioned it.

The worst thing that ever happened is that we got an angry letter from a neighbor who didn’t like looking at my mother’s RV parked in the driveway.

There are many New England towns like that. Only earthy natural tones for paint. All buildings must be of the older New England style. You should see what a McDonalds or KFC looks like in these towns.

I have noticed that the bored, middle aged wives of relatively wealthy and busy husbands are often ‘encouraged’ to become involved in such community organizations by husbands hoping to share their grief.

3 Likes

Mom’s HOA was big into earth tones, but
 They specifically defined “earth tones” as “colors that exist in nature.” So when they were giving my folks guff about whether or not they could do grade-level entry for handicap accessibility (dad was in a wheelchair) dad explained that under the ADA they could do anything they wanted for accessibility purposes and the HOA had no leg to stand on.

The HOA then threatened to take him to court over it, which delighted him because he loved beating idiots up in court, but mom instead just pointed out that parrots exist in nature, and so does shiny metallic gold and silver, and if they kept it up with the anti-handicap BS, the house would be visible from orbit.

They dropped the matter. :wink:

3 Likes