9 models that will depart in 2020

Eliminating the entry level automobiles greatly increases the demand for used vehicles which further pumps the market for the more profitable new models. It’s a grand scheme but possibly a short term success and a long term failure.

2 Likes

My nearest Fiat/Alfa Romeo dealer took down his Fiat signs several months ago, and is now apparently depending on just the sale of Alfas. I find it hard to believe that he will be able to keep his doors open.

This is a multi-line dealership, with separate buildings for Jeep, Ford, and Alfa, but I think that he is going to have to find another use for the “Alfa building” in the near future.

The only significant one on the list is the Impala.

I HATED driving that vehicle. Rented one a few months ago. The pillar between the front and rear was in a real odd position. I’m tall have have the seat all the way back. At this seat position the pillar is about even with my mid-thigh. I either had to move the seat forward or scoot forward in the seat just to swing my leg out. Ride comfort was GREAT…but egress was royal pain.

Only one Lincoln on the list ? I actually wonder how the Lincoln brand continues to exist .

That Lincoln shouldn’t be on the list. It’s just been given a new name.

Lincoln sales have held steady (about 107,000/yr) the last 5 years, up from the prior 6 years (about 87,000/yr).

1 Like

That doesn’t concern me one bit. The only car on the list that I’d consider is the Prius C, and I’ve taken hybrids off my list of potential cars since my new goal is to drive as little as possible.

Well that explains it. I got an Email today on the Twin Cities Auto Show in March. They are calling it Pick up truck row or something now. Sounded like it was going to be all trucks and SUVs. I suppose because they aren’t making cars. I dunno, I haven’t been able to make it the last couple of years and don’t think I’d miss much this year. But bring a step stool if you want to sit in the trucks.

Yeah I know, I never liked the Impalas lately and rented a few but still, instead of making it a little more fun, they kill it? I’m not convinced this is smart after gee the car has been around since 1958, and used to be fun. Maybe in a few years the big three will just change their names to General Mechanical or something since they will no longer resemble their past. Ole Henry, Walter, and Sloan, rest in peace.

I actually didn’t know Ford still offered the Flex. And I’ve never seen a Buick Cascada…

The Impala not being offered is kind of news, though. Does Ford still make an equivalent?

Good for you. I’m working towards that direction myself.

Apparently Ford is dropping all cars except for the Mustang .

1 Like

I guess at this point it might be easier to list the domestic sedans that are still in production than to list the ones that are being discontinued…

I can understand the move from sedans to SUVs. I bought my first minivan, a 1990 Ford Aerostar, back in 1991. In late 1995, we bought a 1993 Oldsmobile 88. We found the Ford Aerostar was much more comfortable for road trips and the Oldsmobile 88 was replaced with a new Toyota 4Runner in 2003. We still have the 4Runner along with a 2017 Toyota Sienna. We like the driving position in both the 4Runner and the Sienna. Today’s cars sit too low for me.
Back in 1992, Consumer Reports tested an Oldsmobile 88, a Buick Roadmaster, and a Mercury. For comparison, CR borrowed a 1952 Buick Roadmaster from a collector. The seats in the then 40 year old Buick CR found to be more comfortable than any of the new cars that were tested for the report. Of course, the 1952 Buick couldn’t hold a candle to the new cars in handling, braking, acceleration or gas mileage.
Back in 1959, my dad thought about replacing his 1954 Buick. We road tested a 1959 Buick Invicta. After a test drive in the 1959 Buick, our entire family was happy to get back in our 1954 Buick. The seats and seating position were much more comfortable. The trunk on the 1959 Buick was shallow and wouldn’t hold nearly the luggage our 1954 Buick would hold. This was 60 years ago and I think the utility value of cars has decreased since that time.
P. T. Keller, who headed Chrysler corporation made the comment back in the early 1950s that “cars were to ride in, not p*ss over”. Unfortunately for Chrysler, the public preferred “the long, low European look” over comfort. I remember riding in and driving the Virgil Exner styled 1957 Plymouth as a tall 16 year old. It wasn’t comfortable for me even back then. Maybe the consumers have finally agreed with Keller and are buying vehicles that are comfortable to sit in as opposed to appearance. Please realize that I am an old country boy geezer where practicality takes precedence over style.

Heh heh, whatever floats your boat but I just hope this place doesn’t turn into Bus Talk, or Taxi Talk, or Train Talk or Subway Talk or wait for it . . . Walk Talk. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I agree with the former Top Gear guys about modern era SUVs. Boring and dreary with the Escalade IMO being the worst of the lot although they sell like crazy here even with the nearest Cadillac dealer being 65 miles away. Nissans also sell like crazy here.

3 Likes

Why would me putting fewer miles on my car lead to changes on this site?

The problem with large cars is they get about the same mileage as midsize SUVs but don’t have the same utility.

In 2017 I looked at large and midsize sedans. I test drove the Impala with a 6-cyl and thought it handled very will and was quite comfortable. I would have bought it if it had been priced closer to the Accord I ended up with.

Prius is a transition vehicle from ICE cars to electric ones. Electrics weren’t practical when the Prius came out, and Toyota hit a home run by being first to market with a car like it. Hybrids are more expensive to manufacture than ICE or electrics since they combine both motor systems. That’s why GM stopped producing the Volt. The Bolt is simpler will be less expensive to produce after the non recurring costs are covered. That includes non recurring battery costs.

More complex, yes, but batteries are still $$$$$$$$$$. EVs are the most expensive. And if you live somewhere that uses coal for electricity, hybrids are better, CO2-wise.

I have. Shockingly overpriced for how underpowered it is. When you target the segment that’s paying what they were asking, they expect not to get passed by kids in Civics that sound like angry weed-eaters. It’s $8,000 more than a Civic Si, and less powerful, with 1,000 pounds more bulk. Seriously?