70's land Rover

I am interested in buying a 70’s or 80’s Land rover.

And?

Man, have I got a deal for you. I’ve got one owned by a little old man and been parked in a hermetically sealed barn for the past 30 years. The barn is near some ocean view property of mine in Colorado. Let me know if you’re interested.

What year is the car and what would be the price?

Peggy

Think about it. He was joking. I guess that geography isn’t one of your strong points. (“ocean view property of mine in Colorado”)

Thanks

Peggy - if you are wanting to buy one, you’ll need to look in ads, like at Cars.com. I don’t think you can negotiate to buy one on this forum.

If you have questions about them, or about a particular one you find, feel free to ask. You can also find Landrover forums for more-detailed discussions.

Just curious - why do you want one?

Got money?

Seek out the Consumer Reports Used Car Buyers’ Guide at the local bookstore. You’ll find that Land Rover reliability is so below normal that they’re in a class by themselves quality-wise. And I do not mean that in a good sense. Buying one with decades of use on it makes it even more risky.

If you buy one make sure you have a lot of money for repairs, say $2,000 to 3,000 per year for every year you plan to keep it. Next, make sure there is a mechanic who knows Land Rovers that is fairly close to where you live. It is also good to have another car you can depend on for the times the Land Rover is “down” and awaiting parts for a repair.

I’d go with a 1980’s Toyota FJ40 if you want a classic 4WD.

Twotone