7.3 Diesel Urgent. Fuel Issues

Self Employed. No Truck, No Work.

I have a Ford powerstroke 7.3, hard to start and will idle for a short time with no differance with the accelerator pedal. I have droped the fuel tank and inspected it, new fuel pump and filter, new washers on the fuel lines. Have pulled the injectors and replaced the o-rings. I would unplug one injector at a time, the driver side would make a big differance, the passagener side made little differance. I replaced the injector drive module with no change. I loosened the plug on the head for the fuel rail and air escaped, I bled the air off and restarted with no differance in performance. Loosened the plug and more air escaped. Could it be a stuck open injector, letting compression bleed back into the fuel runner / line. Would appreciate any advice or new ideas to try.

anyone? this must be a difficult one…

The year of the truck please.
Yes, it takes research.
I’m only a parts man but I have techs to ask.

Pull all the injectors and have a Diesel Laboratory check them…While they are out, perform a compression test…I take it this engine uses “live rail, electronically controlled direct injection”, right?

2001 F350 7.3 Turbo Diesel

I know a lot about the truck but I am unfamiliar with “live rail”…can you expand on this please?

Any advice for the desprate one.

On most “traditional” diesels, there is a timed high-pressure injection pump that supplies each injector in turn through a high-pressure steel line (tube)…

In the new “live rail” systems, the fuel rail feeds all the injectors, which are electronically timed, like a modern gasoline powered engine.

This sentence is very confusing…" I would unplug one injector at a time, the driver side would make a big differance, the passagener side made little differance. I replaced the injector drive module with no change."

What do you mean by “unplug”…?? This is impossible to do on a 2001 model truck unless it is a “live rail” system and the injectors are controlled electronically…

To address your question that is confusing…“I would unplug”…I would unplug the electrical plug on top of each injector. When I unplugged each injector one at a time on the drivers side, it made a big difference in the Idle. When I repeated the same steps on the passanger side, it made little to no difference in idle. I replaced the injector drive module with a friends whose was functioning which made no difference at all.

To reference the term Unplug, I unplugged the electrical connector from the top of the injector. I have the oil rail that provides oil to all the injectors at one time.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing back.

Okay, you have a live rail system…The injection is controlled electronically, not mechanically. You are going to have to find a shop (dealer?) who can scan the ECM (computer) for trouble codes. Trying to figure this out using “shade tree” methods will cost you MORE money by the time it’s over…A shop manual would be very helpful and give step by step troubleshooting procedures. These procedures may require special tools and equipment.

Today, DYI only goes so far…Sorry…