4 Runner timing belt

toyota
4runner
timing-belts
belts

I have a 2001 4Runner SR5 with 124K miles. Just had the oil changed. So they check it out & say my timing belt was supposed to be replaced at 90k. They suggest that I also have the water pump (it’s weeping) replaced at the same time.

I have had no problems with this part of the vehicle.

What’s your opinion on this?

You’re on borrowed time and it’s normal practice to replace the water pump at the same time.

You’ll not have any problems until it breaks, then the engine will die on you right then and there, be it at a stop light, or 75mph in the middle lane of the freeway. No warnings, just bam!, dead engine.

Plus, this is an interference engine. Broken timing belt means expensive engine damage.

Weeping water pump is a failed water pump. Bearing will start to seize and squeal in short time. Cheaper to replace it with the timing belt.

Find a good local shop,please do not use trans,tire or lube shop or you will be sorry.

I don’t understand why you trust “them” over the owner’s manual. What does it say?

It has 124,000 miles on it. Unless the timing belt has been replaced it is past due. I don’t know any recommended service for a timing belt more than 124,000.

Owner’s manual calls for 90,000 mile interval. Timing belt guide shows a timing belt driven water pump. This belt is overdue, and the water pump is ready to give problems if coolant is leaking from the weephole.