4 cyl turbo motors?

And I thought it was a big deal when Mitsubishi got 200 hp out of their 2.0 L turbo.

Can we add a 150 shot of nitrous with out any mods? :crazy_face:

1 Like

I know you were joking, but thinking out loud here, with the engine being cable of running higher then normal boost for OEM stuff, you should easily be able to hit it with 150 shot of NOS to get the vehicle moving (off the line from a dig) until the engine really came up on boost as long as the computer is programed to pull the proper timing out, but only for about a second maybe… Now I don’t know what the boost curve looks like, so I may be wrong about that… But street racers do it all the time with turbos that are running 50+ psi of boost (2K-4K HP)… I think Murder Nova finally kicked the rods out at 70+ psi of boost one time… But the MB is only running about 26 psi pf boost if the base engine is 150HP NA, at 200HP NA it would only need about 16 psi of boost, so it all depends on how fast it comes up on boost, which with these newer OEM turbo vehicles and 8-10 speed transmissions it is probable pretty fast… And you know MB didn’t blow the engine up at 420HP and say, well we better lower the HP to 416 to keep it safe, they have a buffer there for warranty…
Might not hold it with full boost though… lol

Checking back on my 1962 Chevy II manual which I still have, 6,000 to 12,000 was the recommended service.

Regarding my being a “cheap SOB” and owning various fine running cars 70, 18 and 19 years old, meticulous adherence to the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule is paramount.
No more, no less.

Hey, if you want to change your oil every 3,000 miles with Philliio Berio Extra Virgin olive oil, God bless you but there’s no reason to believe that there’s any benefit except to their bottom line.

Let’s see it.

IIRC, Ford was the first manufacturer to extend oil change intervals to 6k miles, and I believe that was in 1965.

1 Like

Our family owned that car when I began working in a gas station. The service interval was not that long.

When I look at a scanned 1962 Chevy II owner’s manual:
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/attachments/first-part-1962-chevy-ii-service-manual-pdf.425416/
it says:

• For temps above 32 degrees: Change the oil every 60 days or every 4000 miles, whichever comes first.
  • For temps below 32 degrees or for adverse operationg conditions: Change every 30 days or every 4000 miles, whichever comes first.
    Oil filter change every 4000 miles.

Air cleaner service every 4000 miles.
Oil the generator end caps every 1000 miles.

2 Likes

That sounds like the service interval for tune-up and air filter, not oil changes.

1 Like