354,000+ Jeeps recalled worldwide. Rear coils springs can fall off while being driven

DETROIT — Stellantis is recalling more than 354,000 Jeeps worldwide because the rear coil springs can fall off while they’re being driven.

The recall covers certain 2022 and 2023 Grand Cherokee and 2021 to 2023 Grand Cherokee L SUVs.

The company says in documents posted Tuesday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the springs may have been installed incorrectly in production. They can detach from the vehicle while it’s moving, increasing the risk of a crash and possibly creating a hazard for other drivers.

Stellantis says in the documents that it’s aware of 17 warranty claims, two customer assistance reports and two field reports that may be caused by the problem. But as of May 25 it had no reports of crashes or injuries. Most of the recalled vehicles are in North America.

SUVs with air suspensions are not affected. Dealers will inspect the springs and replace the assemblies if necessary. Owners are to be notified by letter starting July 28.

I’ll have to take your word for it, way to many pop ups and advertisements to try and follow the story… And I’m not logging in to anything just to read 1 story… lol

So what they are saying is the new Jeeps are not real Jeeps after all, you can’t drive them down the road without parts falling off them much less jump them while 4 wheeling with out them falling apart… Yes I’m being sarcastic, I know Jeeps haven’t been real off road worthy Jeeps in a long time except for a few select models… Just a bunch of wannabes…
But I guess to each their own… :wink:

2 Likes

The shock absorber determines the total extension of the suspension. If they are too long, they allow stiffer springs to go loose and possibly fall out. You always want at least 5 lbs of residual force.

I’d guess someone allowed the off road shocks to be put on the more performance oriented jeeps with stiffer, shorter springs.

5 Likes

Did you really just say “performance oriented” and Jeeps in the same sentence? I’m chuckling.

2 Likes

Yes, Yes I DID say that!

Because of silly stuff like this… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Real Jeeps have leaf springs.

2 Likes

… and they are “powered” by either the 4-cylinder flathead Go Devil engine, or the F-head Hurricane 4 cylinder engine.
:wink:

3 Likes

Real jeeps are not made by Chrysler or stellentis or what’s the next merger name to come?

2 Likes

Well, they are 4 cylinder…turbo direct injection plug in hybrids…

No!
None of that new-fangled stuff like turbos, fuel injection, or–worst of all–hybrid technology! :wink:

Everyone wants technology that dates back to the 1930s, or–at the latest–1950.
You know, The Good OId Days–when everything was super-reliable. :smirk:

5 Likes

So there’s a a recall to recoil? … lol … TV show “America’s Truck Night”, it is pretty common to see a coil spring fall off, side-effect of the home-brew suspension systems & bizarre maneuvers the trucks have to endure. Shouldn’t happen on new trucks w/original-design suspension systems of course.

I grant I know next to nothing about Jeep products, but took a walk-about the other day, happened to pass by a Chrysler dealership. They put a whole row of 4x4 Jeeps right out in front, nice looking vehicles, & the Jeep segment looked to be considered an important marketing advantage. Also appears by the improvements going on there, the Chrysler product line is becoming more & more successful. Good for Chrysler, producing products people want to buy. Coincidentally, while walking past the Chrysler dealership, a classic 1950’s Chrysler drove by, looked like Windsor, but had “Bel Air” on the tail end. Maybe the front half was Chrysler, the rear half was Chevy.

Or coil overs so they can go rock crawling… :grin:

More than 350,000 Grand Cherokees sold during Covid years by what some people consider a failing company. Parts shortage, no buyers, no hope but sold so many $50,000 SUVs?

Ever heard of SRT? Been around for 15 years, a coworker has a Grand Cherokee SRT8.

25 years ago, a friend had a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited.

The 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9 Was the Trackhawk of Its Era (motortrend.com)

2 Likes

They have Jeeps with well over 1200 HP street legal, factory front 6 piston Brembo brakes just to name one of many upgrades… And they can put the power down being AWD/4WD!!!

No worries, guys.

If your Jeep breaks down at night in the dark, you can always use those LED lightbars to help brighten things up for the tow truck guy.

Then you can get back to navigating the “urban jungle” on the way to Starbucks. Genius!

4 Likes

And, in the very unlikely event that the Jeep is ever taken offroad, be sure to NOT wash it for the next year, so that people can see the mud marks, thereby proving that you dared to venture off of a paved road.
:smirk:

2 Likes

I read somewhere the other day that Jeep (Stelantis) has customer data indicating that something like 90% of Jeeps are never taken off the pavement. Blew my mind.

Yet there’s, I’m sure, a thriving “accessories” industry out there for folks to “customize” their Jeep to look “rugged”. Obviously it’s a Jeep thing I just don’t get.

1 Like

And don’t forget the Jeep ‘angry eyes’:

2 Likes

Back in my 20’s I had a 1977 jeep Cherokee Chief with a light bar (LOL) and air horns.
But, I was on the beach fishing 3-4 nights a week and took it in the Adirondack mountains hunting.

In addition to the “angry eyes”, which seem to have been installed on the majority of Jeeps in my area, there are also the “snorkels” which can be seen on a lot of Jeeps that never leave paved roads.

2 Likes