$295 For The Air In The Tires (Not A Typo)

Logic with machines is one thing but logic with people is something else again. What may be logical to someone is totally illogical to me. I guess that's the trick to know what someone else's logic is

Logic is Logic.- “’ a ​formal, ​scientific ​method of ​examining or ​thinking about ​ideas”

Logical thinking can be applied to all types of critical thinking. You either have it or you don’t.

This is a classic case of padding an invoice or sticker. Nitrogen in the tires is free at Costco and should be everywhere else.

Nitrogen in the tires is rolled into the cost of mounting the tires at Costco. It is not free. As Costco’s business model (which I quite like) is to reduce prices for minimum profit to entice consumers into buying membership, if they’d just fill the things with air instead of nitrogen they could reduce the install cost even more.

Yes, they did have to pay something for the nitrogen generator. If you want a good laugh, look at some of the claims made on sites for those machines…

There’s so much sales BS out there on the subject of nitrogen in tires that it’s truly sickening.
I don’t know how this stuff proliferates so greatly.

The ancient Greek chemists knew that putting nitrogen in tires
was was a scam because the only elements were earth, air, fire, and water.

@critical thinking…

Personally I think I got my critical thinking skills from reading Science Fiction when I was a kid, the likes of Lester Delray, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, etc. and not from any particular “role model” or teacher.

Personally I think I got my critical thinking skills from reading Science Fiction when I was a kid, the likes of Lester Delray, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, etc. and not from any particular "role model" or teacher.

Want to get a kid interested in Science…get them interested in Science Fiction. There are countless Engineers and Scientists world wide who attribute their desire to pursue a degree in Engineering or science because of Science Fiction. A huge subset of that group are the ones who grew-up watching Star-Trek.

Chicken-egg situation IMO. I think it’s in your genes and watching/interest in SciFi is just inherent to the innate desire that’s part of your fundamental make up…you naturally can watch SciFi at an earlier age than you can do any science/engineering work and the progression was perhaps inevitable. One did not necessarily lead to the other… I’m not saying it can’t fan the flames but the fuel/embers have to be there in the first place.

Speaking of which, one of my pet peeves are the conclusions presented from “studies”. Studies show, people who eat fish are more likely to … The cause/effect relationship is most often misrepresented when these “researchers” simply look at the data without truly understanding the fundamental relationships.

you naturally can watch SciFi at an earlier age than you can do any science/engineering work and the progression was perhaps inevitable. One did not necessarily lead to the other..

There are obviously many people who don’t have the natural ability to do engineering or science work. But there are many people who do have the ability…and never were interested in science and went on to study something different…or nothing at all.

That’s it. Captain Midnight and Dick Tracy were about as science fiction as I ever cared to go. Just really didn’t like it and still don’t. I prefer realistic scenarios which is kinda why I thought Vince Flynn was getting a little off track before he died.

True, the MSRP is near meaningless in the first place. The “Insult Price”, or rather, the price the dealer would LIKE to get under ideal circumstances.

Lifetime. Yeah. Like I’m gonna drive all the way back to the dealership every time a tire is 5 psi low. Not to forget, some people drive 50, 60 miles or more to buy a car. 95% of people are going to forget about it after a few months and the dealership knows it. And then after you get to the dealership how long are you going to have to wait for a tech to come out and administer the nitrogen to your tires. I bet it isn’t self-serve, or is it? Then the tech who comes out to put the nitrogen in your tires has an opportunity to tell you you need new tires, ball joints, alignments, etc. Like the $19 oil changes which are just a way to get your car up on the lift to upsell you other repairs. Yes, I understand many times these repairs are legit, but you know what I’m referring to.

Something else I don’t understand, these dealerships around here are advertising something they call “Customer For Life” programs. They need to find a better name for that, it sounds like a prison sentence. Oh yeah, we’re gonna stay in your wallet for the rest of your life.

I prefer realistic scenarios which is kinda why I thought Vince Flynn was getting a little off track before he died.

A lot of good science fiction books are written by Engineers and Scientists. Many have PHd’s and take a scientific idea and extend it to Fiction. There are many poorly written science fiction that’s really just fantasy.

@MikeInNH: At the risk of making one more comment unrelated to cars, fantasy can be good fiction too as long as it is logically congruent and well written.

I love scifi, and have a collection of about 50 scifi movies including “The Day The Earth Stood Still”, a true classic.

I enjoy watching old stuff like “mission to Mars” too. It’s funny to watch what the perception of space travel was long ago.

I always thought recommendations for medical products by “9 out of 10 New York doctors” was a way to get the gullible to purchase some medication. On one visit to my physician, I listed all my symptoms and said,"Doc, I believe I have the onset of Geezeritis. Would Geritol® be right for me? After all, it’s recommended by 9 out of 10 New York Doctors “. My physician replied, That’s true. However, those were doctors of divinity”.

Here’s another direct quote from Gallagher, this one appropriate to the topic at hand: “People don’t want to hear it, they don’t want to pay $75 for tires. So you hear they’re only $49.95; then ya gotta buy all them extras like 'Do ya want ‘em on the car?’” “NO! I’ll just leave 'em here!” “You want 'em BALANCED?” "What’re ya gonna tell 'em, 'Heck NO, I like going down the road like. . . " (Holding his hands out as if wrestling with a steering wheel and shaking side to side until his cap falls off his head).

Marnet: I also found the Curtiss motorcycle fascinating. My Father and Mother built Liberty cargo ships during WW2. They commuted about 100 miles round trip. My Father described their motorcycle! As an Excelsior 4 cylinder. I had no idea what it was and asked if it was like an Ariel. He said no. His friend had an Ariel which was a “cube” 4 cylinder. His Excelsior was an inline 4 cylinder. I know what it was now. I asked if when my Mother was hired they commuted in their 1934 Buick. He said no. She just hopped on the back of the motorcycle! My Mother earned 10,000 cool points for that!

the same mountainbike: Yes nitrogen filled tires on any street legal motor vehicle is a complete scam! In race cars due to it’s slightly superior temperature resistance it may give a race car a 6 inch advantage at the finish line. $295 for 15 cents worth of nitrogen is theft!

@sgtrock21 Interesting, my dad also built ships during the war in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. The info on what they built is kind of hard to come by and he’s dead now. I heard many stories though from those days. He also flew with the CAP there patrolling the bay. Now they are awarding medals for the folks that flew with CAP and wish I had enough info to put him in for one post humus. Interesting that his first flying lesson was with the famous Max Conrad in Winona. He asked my dad how long he had been flying and he looked at his watch and said about 5 minutes (read a lot). He pointed to the Ford Tri Motor on the ground and said if you come to work for me I’ll teach you how to fly that one. My mom would never let him though.