2022 Nissan Rogue - Fumes seem dangerous

OK, the oil level IS significant, it is a clue of what might be going wrong. The sticker your mechanic put on the windshield does NOT necessarily mean the oil change is overdue. Many mechanics recommend an oil change interval (OCI) that is more frequent than recommended in the owners manual. If the dealer is using the “due date/mileage” on the sticker, it may not actually be due IAW the factory recommended OCI.

The dealer cannot determine that the your mechanic overfilled the oil, he can only determine the current level. If the current level is high, it could be that gas is getting into the oil causing it to look overfull. Gas getting into the oil, usually through cylinder wash down, will cause the smell of raw gas around the vehicle. Nissan should analyze the oil for gas content, then they may find the source of the problem.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly!
Perhaps in light of this factual information, the OP will change his attitude.

We just received our Rogue back today after a week and 3 days. They replaced the EVAP canister valve and after driving it home for 40 minutes I went back out to the garage and could still smell the fumes! We are coming up on 8,000 miles but yeah all these stories I’ve read on here sounds the exact same as we’re going through… The dealership did mention it’s under review with Nissan engineers! I hope they come up with a fix soon.

Has anyone tried using an exhaust-gas sniffer wand yet? Very sensitive to wayward gasoline molecules.

1 Like

I wish I had access to one. The local Nissan dealer service department does not have one. They told me that few shops have them anymore because with all the emissions controls on the newer vehicles, so there is no need to use an exhaust sniffer to tune the engine.

Two weeks ago Toyota issued a service bulletin for a fuel odor from the high pressure fuel pumps. These pumps look similar to the pumps used on Nissan vehicles, might be from the same manufacture.

Wow. I can’t believe they would put some BS like this in an official response to the complaints they are receiving. Imagine how many people are buying that gas that aren’t Nissan Rogues. Every manufacturer must be being bombarded by fuel odor complaints! :rofl:

3 Likes

This whole process seems flawed, and unlikely to result in a fix. Nissan is telling people to take the cars to dealers for diagnosis, and the dealers are not even investigating, but just saying what Nissan has told them, that there is no fix and they are waiting for Nissan to figure it out. On all the different forums and review sites, I have yet to read of Nissan re-purchasing a vehicle with this problem. Nissan should be buying back all these problem vehicles to take them to the factory and tear down the engines to figure out what the issue is. Instead, Nissan is making excuses about it being an issue with winter-blended fuel, which makes no sense because none of the millions of other vehicles using winter-blended fuel smell like raw gasoline.

File a complaint with NHTSA:

Discuss your situation with these attorneys:

I just recently purchased my New 2022 Nissan Rogue, just hit 4k miles on it and brought it in for my oil change yesterday. They asked how it has been running and I explained to them that after driving it my garage smells like gas for some time after. I was informed that this is a known issue and they are looking into it. I was first told they are saying that it is the winter gas, to which I called BS, if that was the case it would be more than the 2022 Nissan Rogue having the issues.
This really concerns me that there are so many people having this same issue. Are they going to wait until something really bad happens before something gets done with? The fumes are very strong and I have an attached garage which I am sure many of you do. It scares me plus I am in a townhome so if car would happen to catch fire it would destroy not only my home, but 5 other homes. This is a serious issue! I am kicking myself for trading in my other Rogue.
I was reassured that once they figure it out there will be a recall. I’m sorry…I bought a brand new car and have only had for a couple of months and now I just have to sit here hopping they can figure out.
I wish you all the best of luck.

Concur, the winter-gas theory seems unlikely. But the winter-gas theory seems theoretically possible at least. As for an explanation why the same odor doesn’t occur w/ other car designs, that could be the Rogue’s catalytic converter design is different from other cars…

I’m skeptical. I’ve never smelled winter gas when I never smelled summer gas. If that were true, then the gas stink issue would be much more widespread than just the Nissan Rogue. Millions of people would be complaining.

When I’m in pedestrian mode, I often notice a difference in the exhaust odor, one car to another.

I must add…this is not an exhaust odor, this is more like raw gas, like it is leaking out somewhere, but I don’t see any evidence of gas.

An exhaust odor similar to raw gasoline is not that unusual, on many cars noticed during cold starts, b/c computer programs air/fuel mixture richer (more gasoline) on cold starts. Some gasoline vapor makes it way all the way to the end of the tailpipe. This odor might not be noticed when inside the car though.

The winter blend fuel in my area this year creates a foul exhaust odor in older vehicles, there is a difference in seasonal fuel.

While the problem seems to be a gasoline leak, most people are not specific on what type of “gas” they smell and some do not know the difference between a gasoline odor and an exhaust odor.

My brother had the exact same problem with his Hyundai Azera, right after purchasing it. After the dealership traced the problem to a defective temperature sensor that was allowing it to run on a “rich” mixture–even when the engine was fully warmed-up–they replaced that sensor and the problem disappeared.

Does this bear any significance in the case of these Rogues?
Quien sabe?

Has anyone tried using non-ethanol fuel to test the “winter-blended fuel” theory? Unfortunately, I just filled the Rogue up last night, so cannot try this for a few weeks.

Has a fuel-trim test been done? If not, next time your Rogue is at the shop ask them if a fuel trim test would make sense for your gasoline odor symptom. Might provide a clue. Easily performed and quick, provided shop has proper test equipment. Positive fuel trims going over 7-8 % would be suspicious.

I think some office worker misunderstood your complaint. Best to wait for the Nissan engineers to provide a remedy, you don’t want a technician replacing multiple parts searching for a fix.

1 Like

The winter-blended fuel theory is in a Nissan Talk Tip that was provided to my dealer, which was forwarded to me. See above post.

Myself and many others have been waiting months and months for a resolution, and the daily exposure to gasoline vapor is a health hazard.