2022 Nissan Rogue - Fumes seem dangerous

I had my Rogue about 7 months. Two months ago started experiencing gas smell coming from driver front side near windshield and the gas smell coming through air vents. Sometimes so bad we have to put windows done and smell causes eyes to burn. Took to dealer and they cannot determine issue. Do not feel safe. Bought new and has 12000 miles. This is my only transportation.

2 Likes

If there is another Honda dealership in your area, you can take it there, see if they have a solution.
Elevate your complaint up the corporation chain, there are instructions in your owners manual.
Keep copies of all correspondence.

Did the service department acknowledge they could smell the gas fumes? Did you get a written report from the service department?

Review lemon laws in your state, if there is a leak anywhere in your fuel system and z Honda can not repair it, I would think lemon law would apply. But there are strict rules in lemon laws.

2 Likes

Purebred’s path is the best. I would also immediately take the vehicle to a trusted local mechanic. Pay the diagnostic fee. Keep your receipt. If that mechanic also can’t find the problem, you are in a real pickle. However, if that mechanic can find the root cause, you could return to the dealer with a plan. And ask them to credit you the cost of the diagnosis. A good mechanic working two hours might only cost you $200 or less. At least then you would have exhausted the “Let’s fix this” avenue. One other thing: Combustible gas(oline) detectors are available for around $150. If you test that vehicle’s inside air with such a device and find combustible gases are present, your dealer better stand up and take that car away from you and put you into a loaner while they sort it out.

2 Likes

[quote=“Purebred, post:2, topic:188321”]
If there is another Honda dealership in your area,
[/quote]**

2022 Nissan Rogue

Tester

5 Likes

Oops, I guess I went rogue!
I should have said Datsun :crazy_face:

7 Likes

As you sure it’s a gasoline smell? Some windshield washer fluids have a very strong chemical smell that can invade the cabin.

2 Likes

Are you sure it is coming from the front?
there is a recall for the gas tank…

April 14, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V259000
Improperly Manufactured Fuel Tank
Road debris may puncture the thin fuel tank wall, causing a gas leak and increasing the risk of a fire. In addition, the fuel tank may not perform as expected during a crash, increasing the risk of injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V259000

Manufacturer Nissan North America, Inc.

Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Potential Number of Units Affected 52

Summary

Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) is recalling certain 2022 Rogue vehicles. Due to a manufacturing error, an area on the bottom wall of the fuel tank may be too thin.

Remedy

Dealers will replace the fuel tank assembly and install a new lock ring, gasket, and o-ring seal, free of charge. Owner notification letters were mailed May 19, 2022. Owners may contact Nissan customer service at 1-800-867-7669. Nissan’s number for this recall is PC887.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

1 Affected Product

Vehicle

MAKE MODEL YEAR
NISSAN ROGUE 2022
3 Likes

Unless there’s a visible leak, often difficult to determine where a gasoline odor is coming from. IIRC Ray mentioned on the radio show that he used an emissions sniffer wand for this. I’d guess raw gasoline vapor would show up in an emissions sniffer display like gang-busters.

If not a leaking connection, could be a problem with the evap system. Canister might be in engine compartment, and a failing one could create a gasoline odor near the windshield. Usually that would confuse the car’s computer enough to turn on the check engine light and produce a diagnostic code. I’m presuming check engine light isn’t on; if so shop should still check for pending diagnostic codes.

This is probably a warranty issue, so make sure to only use dealership for this, and keep all work-orders & receipts they give you on file. If you have a related verbal conversation w/dealership staff, at your earliest convenience snail-mail (not email) them a signed/dated written summary of what you believe was said and any promises you believe they made.

1 Like

I would think a fuel tank rupture would lead to gas on the ground and/or an evaporative emissions error code.

1 Like

I wonder what would happen if you put on recirculation, would the smell not come in? Is the smell being drawn from outside the car through the a/c system?

But I don’t think it’s a good idea to do that for too long, just for testing. it’s probably best to have the windows open to get fresh air and vent out those gas fumes.

Seems so. When I have the fan on for the heat. I am not sure where it is pulling from. At certain times more than others, you can smell gas on the driver side only near the windshield and down further along the hood on the front left side. Not the right.

1 Like

I cannot find any leaks. I park in a parking deck during week in the same spot and nothing shows on the pavement.

1 Like

Took car into service. They attempted to pull codes for any emissions or coolant concerns. Nothing. They said they could not duplicate the problem. Drove the car Sunday about 20 minutes down road and parked it. Smell was very strong. Later that evening, Drove again about 20 minutes down road and smell was so bad we had to put windows down. My grandson was with and could not stand it. I cannot keep running back and forth to dealership for a hit or miss. Very frustrating and it seems we found some others who are experiencing the same with no solution.

1 Like

Dealership checked for coolant leaks to no avail. It is definitely gas.

1 Like

Thank you. Someone actually suggested this.

1 Like

I have open a case with Nissan. Service department cannot find anything and we are finding there are others having the same issue.

1 Like

I am having the same issue which started a month ago at 1100 miles. The issue does not occur all the time, and rarely when I take it in for service. I have a case open with Nissan, and they sent a Nissan technician yesterday who was unable to duplicate the problem. According to this technician, Nissan is aware of this issue and engineering is trying to find the cause, but since the smell is transient, they are unable to track it down. He told me that if he was able to duplicate the problem, Nissan would have flown out some engineers to inspect the car and try to find the issue. I was told they are aware of three vehicles with this issue, and all are in cold climates. I believe that there are many more Rogues with this issue, but some service shops are less than useful, telling customers nonsense explanations for this smell. I took the car into another dealer and they told me they have had other cars in for the smell, but told me that the smell is from the deicer on the roads, which does not make any sense, since other cars would have the same issue, not just Rogues with the new 1.5L engine. I have found that the smell is stronger after shorter drives, and think it is coming from the air intake.

2 Likes

I have the same issue in my 23’ rogue. It seems to have something to do with the 1.5l engine. I’ve been 2 the dealer 3 times, the first 2 they said they couldn’t duplicate it and the 3rd time Nissan had them do an EVAP test which didn’t show any leaks. I’ve found multiple complaints about this and the dealer I go to has a few other complaints as well. Last update I have is it’s under engineering review but from the email the dealer showed me it said not all engineering reviews end in a recommended fix. It sounds like if they find something great if not they don’t really care. I’m about to make a 4th appointment in which I can then file a lemon law claim for Nissan to repurchase the vehicle.

Today, the Nissan Customer Affairs Representative (Markedra) told me that Nissan denied my request for a repurchase because they have not been able to duplicate the issue, even though on my first visit to the dealership, the Service Advisor noted in the repair order that he “smelled a strong fuel odor.”

Are you in a cold climate, and if so, did this issue only show up once the temps got colder?

Yeah I’m in Wisconsin. We bought the car in October and started noticing the smell early November. Wisconsin lemonaw states if the vehicle is taken to the dealer 4 times in the first year whether the problem is diagnosed or not we can file a lemon law claim. I have the3 service records of the fuel smell complaint so all I need to do is take it in 1 more time and I can file. I love the vehicle and would love to keep/replace it for another rogue but without Nissan knowing what the issue is I’m not confident replacing it would be any different.