2022-2023 Hyundai Tucson - TO purchase, Or NOT to purchase?

Hi All,

I have a Hyundai question I hope you can help me with?

I am interested in the 2022-2023 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD.

These are my questions:

1.) What is your overall impression with the Tucson as compared to other similarly priced compact SUV’s?

2.) Your thoughts of AWD vs FWD?

3.) Online reviews of the 2022-2023 Tucson Limited AWD are quite positive until they get to the engine. Many say the Tucson is quite underpowered, with some complaints of hesitation and power loss. What is your opinion/knowledge of the engine and powertrain?

4.) There are some reviews that say the headlights cast a “bowtie” pattern, creating some unilluminated dark spots within the headlights field of view. Your thoughts/experiences?

Thanks,

Scott

I used to recommend Hyundai and Kia to friends and family. They have had many significant issues of late, including fires and catastrophic engine failures. I don’t have any specific feedback on the new Tucson, but I would recommend looking elsewhere.

1 Like

Hesitation and power loss is a legitimate concern. If you end up with that problem you may be stuck with it. It’s an OK vehicle but sometimes a major problem with a Hyundai won’t be fixed for a while. I’ve read some good ones about that and I could be wrong. I would try something else. It may be fun if parts have to come from Korea. Some do.

AWD is liberating because all-season tires will usually do the trick on uphill snow covered roads even with ice underneath. You don’t have to buy winter tires at all. Add to that: You can’t take advantage of free rotation and balance if you swap over tires twice a year.

I had a 2004 KIA Optima for 10 years and it was almost trouble free . Too many stories that are out there now for me to buy either KIA or sister vehicle Hyundai.

Unless you live in an area with lots of snow/ice and hills, I’d pass on the AWD. You might consider snow tires instead. As for being underpowered, go for a test drive. That settles it.

1 Like

“Hesitating and under-powered” to one person is “runs great” to somebody else. Make that decision based on your own test-drive experience. IMO FWD for most ordinary uses is a better choice in general b/c it is a simpler design, so less likely to cause future expensive repair problems. FWD performs pretty good in snow b/c there’s a lot of weight over the drive wheels. Many, maybe most, newer cars seem to have weird headlight patterns. I expect you’d get used to that quickly.

You are welcome to use the forum search feature here to see what other Tucson owners have said in the past. Link upper right this page.

Suggest to also see what Consumer Reports New Car Guide says.

Full Disclosure: I have no Hyundai or Tucson model personal experience.

Test drive it and see what you think . The last couple of years they started using a 2.5 liter engine . The big plus to this is it is non turbo engine. A big plus in my book . Previous years used a 2.0 and a 2.4 engine which I read was underpowered . Also between FWD or AWD . FWD is simpler and weighs less so that means maybe a little better mpg and slightly better acceleration . Hyundai does have one of the best powertrain warranties at 10/100000 and 5/60000 bumper to bumper , something else to keep in mind. Also they have a standard auto transmission , none of the CVT garbage .They are using a 8 speed auto and that makes a big difference in acceleration when you get 8 gears to use . I will say kia and Hyundai have some of the best looking interiors on them . . I wanted to look at like a 2020 Tuscon but I think i have to pass with the problems they are having with people easily stealing models up to 2020 because they dont have engine immobilizers or smart keys . The new ones dont have that issue .

1 Like

I would say keep looking. At other manufacturers. While my ‘20 Soul was reliable with no mechanical problems, we dumped the ‘22 Palisade 4wd last week. It seemed while initially comfortable, both vehicle seats lost most support after 14 months. That was about the same time the suspension went from tight to loose and the rides became bumpy, rolling and yawing. Road noise was fatiguing in both also, so my experience was these are family traits. Neither had engine or powertrain problems.

The Palisade 4wd was a nuisance, having to put it in 4wd manually every time you start. We much prefer the Quattro or similar full time AWD experience.

The bowtie pattern of headlights might be referring to something I noticed on all our cars since the Q5 with led headlight. There seems to be a notch in the projection exactly where an oncoming car would be, possibly to avoid blinding the driver.

We found the Palisade to be virtually uncontrollable on even the lightest snow. It was tiring to drive even on dry roads from day one. After signing a purchase trade of it, nephew pointed out the rear pax tire with 12k miles was extremely worn on the outside tread. I know nothing about wheels but speculate it was not vertical causing a right drift to be constantly fought. Perhaps there’s some kind of alignment not properly done or something else not right in that wheels suspension. I have no idea and did not have time to investigate before the trade.