2017 Santa Fe Sport vs 2017 Tucson opinions?

debating on a new 2017 Santa Fe Sport Limited with 2.0T or the 2017 Tucson Ultimate 1.6T. Is the Tuscon still having problems with the transmission (double clutch). Ive read many revews and I was leaning Tucson until i read about the double clutvh transmission problem… any advice / experiences?Thx

The Tucson is under powered and has vague steering feel. Go for a Toyota Rav 4 or Honda CRV if you can afford it. The 1.6T engine direct injection engine is prone to carbon deposits and needs cleaning after 60,000 miles…a costly procedure.Symptoms are lack of power and excessive gas milage when that happens.

Did you drive them? The Santa Fe Sport is a bit larger, but has a lot more powerful engine to make up for it. Check the size difference at the dealer and if that’s doesn’t sell you on one or the other, drive them.

I hate to say it, because I like the current Tucson, but the buzz I have heard is the transmission issues are not fully resolved. I had been looking for confoim on this myself and that was my conclusion after reading up.

If you are concerned before you even buy something then look else where. There are so many choices these days you should be able to find something that lets you sleep at night.

3 Likes

Thanks … only reason i asked was that my understanding was that this was
specific to 2016 Tuscons … but u r right I will take your advice… many
thanks for getting back to me…

1 Like

I was hoping it wasnt true as I do like the size and styling now. I went to
a dealership and asked salesperson for an honest answer on whether the
Tuscon is still having issues and to what degree … he said a few of his
customers have complained … so that was enough to put me off … maybe the
Sportage??

Thanks for replying back to me… Henry

If you want the truth . . . straight from the horse’s mouth . . . you can log onto the Hyundai technical website for about $20 or so. You’ll have 2-3 days access to the same information that the dealership guys have. If there’s any technical service bulletins, you’ll know. Some very ominous technical bulletins never get escalated to a recall, beware.

That’s what I do when I’m seriously considering a particular vehicle. It’s saved my bacon a few times already.

The implication being . . . if I don’t like what I read, I keep looking elsewhere.

2 Likes

Great stuff … never knew you could that … many thanks again for the
advice.

The auto manufacturers are required to make the technical information and various factory tools available for sale to the public

This was not always the case, though

Hi Henry, Just this afternoon the 2018 Hyundai Tucson press release landed in my inbox. The Tucson is now available with the non-turbo 2.4-liter engine and a 6-speed auto (not the troublesome 7-speed dual clutch trans). I figured I would give you a heads up. Here is the intro of the press info:"Hyundai’s Tucson Sport is now equipped with a 2.4-liter inline four-cylinder GDI producing 181 horsepower and 175 lb.-ft. of torque, an advantage over key competitors the Toyota RAV4 and Nissan Rogue. Peak torque delivery starts at 4,000 rpm, similar to the majority of segment competitors, delivering responsiveness and performance in everyday driving conditions. The Tucson Sport’s exclusive 2.4-liter engine is coupled with a six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC® manual shift mode. The 2018 Tucson Sport has a starting price of $25,150 and is available at Hyundai stores nationwide. "

Thanks very much! Appreciate this. Changes my outlook then … i will read
up on it right now … thx again