2021 Ford Escape - Where to buy an extended warranty

I purchased a 2021 Ford Escape with 55K miles on it in October 2023. I would like to purchase an extended warranty - since the turbocharger has already failed - and am not sure who to purchase it from. All the companies online have a monthly plan, but I would like to just pay once. Do you have any suggestions other than selling the car?

Simple answer is don’t do it. Set aside X amount of dollars every month for future repairs.
Be sure to keep all maintenance up to date. Use the severe service intervals. Just a guess but the previous owner may have not kept up with maintenance and/or abused the car leading to the turbocharger failure.

1 Like

@Jennifer43 If you must have an extended warranty (which is 98 % of the time wasted money ) talk to a Ford dealer and see if they have one backed by Ford.

1 Like

Turbos usually fail due to poor maintenance and lack of oil changes. Or a poor design. I’d lean to a poor design. Your car was neglected. Ford knows it now. And you think a warranty will cover the next failure? I’d say sell it and get a Toyota.
Cheap car.
Lousy design.
Expensive new turbo.
Expensive warranty.
You do know the motors fail a lot?

Thank you for your responses! Now that the turbocharger has failed, I was starting to worry about the motor, which is the why behind the warranty question. It sounds like I should start saving for a toyota instead!

1 Like

Toyota and all manufactures have had problems at one time or another. You bought a used vehicle so you might start looking at web sites to see if there is a new vehicle in your price range that meets your needs . Plus new always has lower interest rates.

Also spend about 200.00 at a trusted shop to inspect your current vehicle and you may find that you can drive it for a while and not lose sleep.

3 Likes

If you like your Escape & it otherwise meets your needs, you’d most likely be money ahead to keep it, & simply increase the frequency of the maintenance procedures, and otherwise drive it gently.

For example

• If Ford recommends oil and filter changes every 7500 miles, do that at 3500 miles instead.
  • If Ford recommends spark plug and engine air filter changes at 10,000 miles, change them out at 5,000 miles instead. etc etc
  • Always use fluids which meet Ford’s exact requirements. Buy the fluids at a dealership and give them to your local inde shop shop to use if necessary.
  • If your Escape accelerates really fast, take your foot off the gas a little & accelerate slowly instead. Likewise for stopping & turning, gently.
  • Ask friends, relatives, fellow bar-hopper & church goers who own Fords which independent shops they use, and interview a few of the shop managers to see which one shares a similar car-repair philosophy to you, and do this pro-actively, before you need them.

Good Grief !! Spark plugs at 10000 miles ?

5 Likes

I think he meant 100k miles

Scheduled Maintenance - Normal Scheduled Maintenance (fordservicecontent.com)

1 Like

Years ago, we used to replace spark plugs every 30,000 miles, now replacement is recommended every 5000 miles?

The spark plugs should be replaced every 100,000 miles, the engine air filter will generally last 30,000 miles.

2 Likes

My recommendation as stated above is to " increase the frequency of the maintenance procedures". OP and their shop will have to reach a consensus on what intervals are best for them. Buying an extended warranty or other car may work even better.

Some turbo info…

The Turbocharger Survival Guide: How to Extend the Life of Your Turbo (turbokits.com)

1 Like

Consumer Reports magazine auto issue has charts showing what repair issues owners have reported for each model and year. That might give you an idea of what problems you might have. Note that no models are trouble free and some models should be avoided.

Hopefully @Jennifer43 will tell us what she found was her best extended warranty. .

Hi Everyone,
The one company I looked at was Endurance and the total cost for the warranty was going to be more than 4k, plus they were very agressive in trying to get me to purchase it, so I decided that was a no. I need to look next at what Ford offers. The Escape is still in the shop getting repaired, so I have maybe another week to decide what to do.
Thank you all for your guidance!!

1 Like

Ford service plans:
What Are Ford Protect Extended Service & Maintenance Plans? | Ford Owner Support

An extended warranty is not going to cover your current problem.

I know. I have already negotiated payment on the turbocharger.