2017 Ford Escape Titanium Vacuum Pump Failed - Need New turbocharger

Hi there - have a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium (78k miles). In past month noticed car would struggle holding the highest gear on high speed highway driving in cruise control as well as general slow acceleration. The RPM would lurch to get to 75 MPH and then fall back down to 72/3 MPH before revving to high RPM’s to get to that cruising speed. Anyways, check engine came on this week and had it checked at Ford dealer and they said Vacuum pump failed causing the turbocharger to go bad. They’re quoting me $3800 for parts and labor at the dealer. Anyone ever experience this issue on their Ford Escape? Do you think it would be better to get this fixed at an independent shop or stick with the dealer for this type of repair?

1 Like

Don’t you you mean a turbocharger?

Tester

1 Like

I’ve rebuilt and installed turbochargers.

You buy it, and then find a mechanic to install it.

Tester

Yes turbocharger my bad.

Just curious, did your shop explain how a faulty vacuum pump could adversely affect the turbo? Maybe there’s some sort of vacuum actuator involved with the turbo function?

My vacuum pump went out in June ($590 in repairs), got my car back and within 2.5 weeks, my turbo blew and my car started blowing blue smoke from the exhaust. To say that I am irate, would be an understatement. Ford better get their s#it together, pretty dang quick. Sounds like this will be no less than $1700 more… This is a common issue with this year and model. I took my complaint directly to the Ford dealership that I got it from. Their response was “buy a new car, we have tons on our lot…”

If the vacuum pump fails on a turbo car, I can see why that might affect the pcv system and conceivably cause crankcase oil to be sucked into the engine and blue exhaust smoke, but still not understanding how that would damage the turbo. Maybe the lack of vacuum causes too much backpressure, preventing a freely flowing turbo system?

What I have gathered is that they are all connected, including the camshaft. (which is also problematic in my case)…

1 Like

The vacuum pump supplies vacuum for the turbocharger wastegate actuator and the power brake booster.

Ok, it’s at least starting to make some sense. Presuming if the turbo waste-gate doesn’t work correctly the turbo might spin too fast, which could damage the turbo.

It seems to me that significant damage was done while the vacuum pump was down. It just took another two an a half weeks for the turbocharger to fail. The turbo had not failed while at the dealer shop and I don’t know why you think thaey should have replaced it while it still functioned.

At least your cvt trans is good. And headgasket. Coolant level is ok?

1 Like

Poster @CASTANOINC_186272 isn’t the author of the top post of this thread, first time they posted was just above, post 6.

1 Like

@George_San_Jose1, I’ll quote the post I responded to.

You don’t see the relationship of my response to the post quoted above?

Why do I think it should have been replaced? Primarily because I work in a shop and told the mechanics that I knew that there was something going on with both and that both needed to be checked. The problems are related, and if one of the parts fails or has some sort of issue, they should have been looked at. (Especially when the issue continued immediately after leaving the shop…)

I don’t see in @CASTANOINC_186272 's post 6 above where they asked the Ford dealership to replace the turbo at the time the vacuum pump failed. The sequence of events from post 6 appears to be

• Vacuum pump fails
  • VP fixed, car returned to customer
  • 2.5 weeks of use
  • Turbo fails

jtsanders---- I really don’t care what your snarky opinion is. Simply put- THERE WAS AN OBVIOUS ISSUE WITH THE TURBO WHEN THE FUGGIN VACUUM PUMP WENT OUT. Are you dense? (That is rhetorical… no need for your dumb responses.) Have a good day.

Quoted $3,800 at the Ford dealer for the Turbocharger, wastegate solenoid, and pump and the associated labor. Forgive me as I’m somewhat of a new car owner but what’s your advice for this type of repair - would you take this type of repair to a local recommended mechanic (1 year warranty) or leave it to the dealer (2 year warranty)? I have a quote from a shop around $3k.

used car. get used parts
fix car. sell it

The labor is $1,000, you are suggesting installing a junk turbocharger?
After the car is sold, what do you do for transportation?