2019 RAM 1500 - dealer isn’t honoring extended care warranty

I recently purchased a “used” 2019 Ram 1500 “Limited” with 13000 miles, purchased as a certified used truck. Destinations can be added and vehicle will navigate to point as long as truck is running. However, once it is turned off, all previous destinations and or recent destinations are lost. When I purchased this vehicle I was provided with a three (3) extended new car warranty. There were a total of seven (7) different malfunctions of this GPS as well. However, despite the electronic service technician who verified all of complaints with the GPS were valid and he could not fix locally, I am still waiting over five (5) days to see if the dealership and Chrysler will honor this new care extended warranty. I have not heard anything from either the service technician or the service manage over the last three (3) days. No loaner vehicle has been provided to me either. I left a voicemail message to the dealership manager today, at 1:30 pm to call me immediately, and he has not called yet,

This is no longer an auto problem but a legal one. You need a lawyer.

3 Likes

This truck is still covered by the factory warranty, the extended warranty isn’t a factor unless there is a rental car provision in the extended warranty contract.

There may be waiting for an exchange navigation unit from the repair center, vehicle manufactures have repair centers for electronic units, they don’t install new radios, amplifiers, navigation units etc.

Five days isn’t an unusual wait time for navigation unit, if the truck is drivable you can use it until the replacement parts arrive, you need to speak to your service writer to understand the status of your truck.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I wish our local dealership and service department would at least have the courtesy to call and give me an update on what their intentions are. This is the very first time that I purchased American. This recent purchase was primary because of all the unique features on the truck over Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. The Ram product is excellent, but there are still a lot of improvements needed in the customer service arena.

Thanks again. Maybe the service department will call me on Monday, and save me a call or a drive there. They really needto keep the vehicle owners informed.

Don’t take this wrong, but I think you should be a bit more patient. This is Saturday and if by dealership manager you mean the GM then that is the wrong person to contact. Any contact should be with the service advisor or service manager.
And there are many “immediatelys” before you.

As mentioned, this problem does not make the truck undriveable.

1 Like

Except in unusual purchase situations a 2019 vehicle w/13k miles on the clock will still retain all the terms of its original new car warranty. All or the vast majority of those benefits just get passed on to the new owner, you in this case. (This is something I didn’t know when I bought my truck used, one year old. If I had known I’d have gotten a few things fixed under the new truck warranty. Assuming the warranty rules were the same 45 years ago of course. ) I expect the GPS malfunction is fully covered under your truck’s new car warranty. Good idea to make sure the dealership concurs, but I expect they will.

As far as getting it fixed. Ever tried to get a CD player fixed? Such a thing is virtually impossible. If your CD player stops working the only solution is a new CD player. Same with other complicated electronics, like the GPS mapping function. The dealership will almost certainly have to swap your unit out and install a new one. And that may take some time, first finding a new unit, then the shop techs figuring out how to do that job, as it may be their first GPS swap they’ve had to do on that make/model/year. It may involve some computer reprogramming. I concur however the dealership should diligently keep you informed of the progress, slow as it may seem. You’ll probably have to go there and ask to the speak to the manager, let him know you expect periodic status updates, say every 3 days or so.

It doesn’t take too much time. does it, to to pick up the telephone, call the client, and keep the lines of communications open?We, as customers should always be kept informed, and we need to know what is happening, right, wrong, or indifferent. Why is it that you can take the time to email me and explain, but the local dealership cannot initiate a call or email? I really appreciate your responses…

If I need to wait for parts to come, no problem, the dealership could at least notify me, and release my vehicle so I can use it in the interim. From an excellent “customer service” perspective, the dealership should be initiating and returning calls, agree?

Thanks for your communications. I will let you know what happens this coming Monday, 09/16/19.

With respect and sincerity,

Ron

It is policy for the service writers to call their customers each day for a status update however when it is understood that a part is on order, daily calls are usually unnecessary.

That statement suggests that the navigation unit would need to be sent to the repair center, the turn around can be 5 to 10 days, you won’t receive a phone call each day. They may feel that this has already been discussed with you.

1 Like

I have had hundreds of CD players repaired, it is the standard procedure for warranty repairs.

A new unit can be sent from the warehouse in a day or two but warranty procedures state that radios and navigation units must be exchanged with replacements from the repair center. If a replacement unit is not available from the repair center the original unit will need to be sent in for repair.

You have very unrealistic expectations. Few big 3 dealers do this on this kind of problem.

1 Like

At the 5 different import dealers where I worked it was not standard practice to update the customer daily or even every other day.

If a car was brought in for a diagnosis the customer was called to verify an approval. If the repair could be completed that day they were called upon completion.

If the repair was going to take several days or several weeks for whatever reason the customer was advised of this and told they would be notified when done.
In the event of parts backorders the customer was advised the delay could be days, weeks, even months, and in a few rare cases; never.

What if, you were told by a service department secretary that you would be getting a telephone call by the service technician and the service manager, and 48 hours had elapsed since, with either calling you back and leaving no text messages on your telephone?

I would just go and ask to talk to the Service manager . Ranting on a Forum will accomplish nothing but raise your blood pressure . No result from the Service manager then who ever is above them.

1 Like

Agree…will do tomorrow.

You could call Monday after lunch if they haven’t contacted you by then and ask for status.

hmm … interesting, I would not have imagined it is economical to repair a CD player, as usually the problem in my experience anyway is the laser output has weakened or the tracking mechanism for the head is gummed up or worn out. Do you mean a customer brings his car into the shop for a CD player problem, and you (or someone at your shop) repairs that same unit and then sends the customer on his way? Or do you mean you remove the CD player, install another one, and the first CD player is sent to an off-site repair shop? If so, where is that off-site repair shop for CD players located? USA or off-shore?

Basic OEM audio units retail for more than $400, vehicle manufactures have them repaired for much less.

A replacement unit is ordered from the repair center, there are several in the U.S.
Common replacements arrive in two days, the old unit is returned in the shipping case that the replacement came in. There is usually a $500 core charge to ensure that the old unit is returned quickly.