2019 Nissan Rogue - Slow to warm

You made me think of some thing isn’t there some sort of protocol in that situation to have a successor if not there needs to be. :laughing:

Don’t discount how cold it is outside, relative to the time it takes to warm up.

I drive a car with a V8, which is parked in the garage at night. On mornings where the temp is below freezing or in the teens, it may take 10-15 mins before I feel any real heat. My wife’s van, which has a V6, is similar when it’s really cold outside.

Personally, I would worry more about this being a problem if the heat never came through.

OTOH, if the purpose of fuel is to motivate the vehicle rather than generate waste heat, it is indeed wasteful. My Corolla’s heater starts blowing at least warm in about 5 minutes, my wife’s Tucson takes longer but less than 10 minutes. Letting a vehicle run unnecessarily rather than fix an apparent problem is a non solution at best.

:frowning_face:

The OP has a perceived problem rather than apparent problem.

1 Like

JohnH16 also thinks this is a politician solvable problem . Good luck with that .

Read John’s comment again, it was a jest about politicians spewing hot air!

2 Likes

And a car needs to be driven safely most of all. Last week we had typical weather here. Rainy and then freezes overnight. In that case I need to warm up the car for several minutes before I can drive, since I need to see out the windshield. I’ve broken several ice scrapers trying to peel the frozen raindrops off the windshield and even if that wasn’t the case the inside of the windows fog up immediately unless the heat is running.
Warming up the inside of the car so you can drive it is no more wasteful than warming up the inside of your house, in my opinion.

7 Likes

One definition of “apparent” is “appearing to be true on the basis of evidence that may or may not be confirmed.” One of its synonyms is “assumed,” i.e., it appears to be a problem to the OP.

There’s a difference between safety and comfort. Running a vehicle to de-ice the windows while scraping vigorously isn’t the same as running it because it’s cold outside and you don’t feel like waiting for the heat to start blowing warm. I ran the engine in my wife’s Tucson this morning while I scraped the windows. In the absence of any ice I would’ve simply manned up and worn a heavier coat. As for defogging, that’s largely done by AC. If you do need it to be blowing warm, there shouldn’t be a need to wait 15 minutes.

Nope. I’m not scraping the windshield vigorously any more than I’m scraping the dinner casserole vigorously or scrubbing the back patio vigorously. I have a pressure washer to clean the concrete and a dishwasher to clean the pots and pans. I spend 50 hours a week working vigorously, in large part so I have devices and machinery to make the rest of my life less vigorous! :grinning:

If I see ice on the car, I start it and turn on the defroster while I pack my lunch and put on my work shoes.

I no longer have a heavy winter coat because I realized I can just turn on the heat when I’m cold. Also my winter coat seems to have shrunk just by hanging in the closet!!!

2 Likes

I saw that, I’m not upset by it honestly, my boys didn’t get a chance to enjoy the last snow storm we had because they were sick with Covid. If anyone is curious, Punxsutawney Phil’s history of “guesses” (as well as the absolutely hilarious history behind him and his ceremony) is on the wiki page:

My garage is warmer then outside air. Car would cool down inside for the first few minutes of drive when it was below zero. I didn’t like that.

Staten Island Chuck has an accuracy record of 80%, and Punxsutawny Phil must be envious:

:wink:

1 Like

But the Florida conch predicts a longer winter. LOL

Trending Now Weather Videos | AccuWeather

ahh but Phil’s actually batting a perfect 1.000. The years where he’s incorrect, it’s because the President of the Inner Circle did not correctly translate Phil’s Groundhogese and misinterpreted him.
:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

In honor of Ground Hog I eat sausage.

2 Likes

Unless you have a CEL with a p0128 code then it is probably warming up ok and within specs . If the hvac is working ok and the the different settings work ok like thru the front dash outlets and floor outlets and defrost outlets then I would say you do not have a problem . If it is really cold like it gets here in the north like 10 degrees it is going to take 8-10 minutes to get fully heated .

Some people cover their windshield if they expect ice or snow.